Arrival of Courtois ignites fight in Real Madrid goal

first_imgDon’t miss out on the latest news and information. Despite often being criticized, Navas hasn’t had to seriously compete for the starting position in goal since taking over from club idol Iker Casillas, who was the team’s main ‘keeper for more than a decade until leaving for Porto in 2015.The last time the position was competitive came after Casillas got injured in 2013 and lost his position to Diego Lopez, who remained as the starter for some time after Casillas recovered.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’The 26-year-old Courtois arrived from Chelsea touted as one of the best goalkeepers in the world, finishing third with Belgium at the World Cup where he won the Golden Glove award as the tournament’s best goalkeeper.But Courtois isn’t getting over-confident. Greek teen Tsitsipas upsets Djokovic in Toronto LATEST STORIES Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award ‘High crimes and misdemeanors’: Trump impeachment trial begins DepEd’s Taal challenge: 30K students displaced Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Gov’t in no rush to rescue animals in Taal Peza offers relief to ecozone firms Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ “I’ve met Keylor, we’ve had a little chat,” Courtois said in a news conference at the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium. “From what people have told me, he’s a really great guy, and from a professional point of view, I consider him a fantastic goalkeeper as well. I come in with absolute respect and to compete at the top level.”Coach Julen Lopetegui, making his debut with Madrid this season, will make his first decision about the starting goalkeeper when Madrid faces Atletico Madrid in the UEFA Super Cup on Wednesday.Courtois, who played three years with Atletico, said he still isn’t in top form following the World Cup, but will be ready to play in the Super Cup if needed.“I feel great, we’ll have to wait and see,” Courtois said.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil “Nobody has given me any guarantees about being the starter,” Courtois said at his presentation with Madrid on Thursday. “It would be a mistake for the club to do that. I’ll have to show I deserve to be the starter during the training sessions. That’s how it should be. I was never given guarantees in any of the clubs where I played. I arrived at Chelsea when (Petr) Cech was there and I ended playing. I arrive to give my best, then the coach will decide who will be the starter.”Navas has succeeded with Madrid but the club has been linked with a new goalkeeper in nearly every transfer window since he became the first choice in 2015.Madrid tried to sign David De Gea from Manchester United after Casillas left but it missed a deadline and the deal didn’t go through. Last season, the club reportedly also tried to sign Athletic Bilbao goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga, the Spain international who has joined Chelsea as Courtois’ replacement. Madrid was also linked to Brazil goalkeeper Alisson, who ended transferring from Roma to Liverpool.Kiko Casillas was Navas’ reserve last season, and Luca Zidane, son of the team’s former player and coach Zinedine Zidane, has been included in the squad this season. Madrid earlier this year also signed 19-year-old Ukrainian goalkeeper Andriy Lunin.According to Spanish media, Navas said he is not worried about Courtois’ arrival, while the Belgian is welcoming the competition.ADVERTISEMENT Palace OKs total deployment ban on Kuwait OFWs View comments MOST READ Belgian new Real Madrid soccer player Thibaut Courtois poses for the media during his official presentation for Real Madrid at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid, Thursday, Aug. 9, 2018. Chelsea has sold a player — goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois — to Real Madrid. The Belgian was replaced by Kepa Arrizabalaga after Chelsea met the goalkeeper’s 80 million euro ($93 million) buyout clause from Athletic Bilbao on Wednesday. (AP Photo/Andrea Comas)MADRID — Real Madrid will start the season with something it hasn’t had in years: Competition over who will start in goal.Thibaut Courtois was introduced by Madrid on Thursday, setting up a rivalry with Keylor Navas, the Spanish team’s goalkeeper when it won the last three Champions League titles.ADVERTISEMENTlast_img read more

A year after mudslide, town holds its ground

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECoach Doc Rivers a “fan” from way back of Jazz’s Jordan Clarkson “You just get caught up in doing whatever needs to be done,” said Beck, who lost four longtime friends. “You don’t cry; the adrenalin kicks in. Today, there’s nothing to be done. You just feel your emotions and cry for everyone and hope we get help.” Geologists have called the sandy bluff above La Conchita – whose name means “the little shell” in Spanish – one of the most slide-prone areas in the nation. But the 300 or so free spirits who live there want to save one of California’s last coastal communities affordable to the middle-class. “The 10 beautiful souls who lost their lives here, they loved La Conchita,” said Rodleen Getsic, 30. “So do we. This is home.” Heavy rains in 1995 collapsed the bluff, covering nine homes in 10 minutes. No one was hurt. Ten years later, during Los Angeles’ second-wettest year on record, the bluff slid again. In 20 seconds on Jan. 10, 2005, 10 people – including three sisters ages 2 to 10 – were buried under 450,000 tons of soil. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger promised to make their community safe, but not a dime has been spent to shore up the cliff. Though the Federal Emergency Management Agency pledged $5 million this winter to buttress a Laguna Beach hillside where 20 homes were damaged and destroyed, La Conchita residents complain FEMA has done nothing to protect La Conchita. The fix is estimated to cost $5 million. The holdup, say homeowners, are Ventura County attorneys who say they won’t request state or federal funds until expected lawsuits are filed and litigated, which could take years. “They’ve done nothing so far,” said Mike Bell, president of the La Conchita Community Association. Meanwhile, residents are staying put. Of the 171 homes in La Conchita, only two homeowners took federal offers to move – and they kept their homes for summer use. Dana Bartholomew, (818) 713-3730 dana.bartholomew@dailynews.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! LA CONCHITA – A year after a mudslide killed 10 of their neighbors, La Conchita residents gathered Saturday to mourn their friends and to pray for their seaside town. More than 200 people, including a phalanx of media, assembled on Santa Barbara Street next to a makeshift memorial beside a cross-studded, towering earthen mound – the remains of the Jan. 10, 2005 mudslide. “In your sorrow, you are remembering them as they would have wished: with your unbroken faith and in the celebration of their lives,” Assemblyman Pedro Nava, D-Santa Barbara, told the crowd. For 30-year-resident Janell Beck, Saturday’s ceremony was harder than the day of the mudslide, when her focus was on helping others. last_img read more

SELECTMEN NEWS New Finance Director Town Accountant Appointed

first_imgWILMINGTON, MA — At a meeting last week, the Wilmington Board of Selectmen appointed Bryan Perry, the current City Auditor for Lowell, as the town’s next Finance Director/Town Accountant, by a 4-1 vote.Perry beat out fellow finalist Jennifer Finnegan, the current Town Treasurer/Collector for Tyngsboro. Both were publicly interviewed by Selectmen on May 15.“I think both candidates did an outstanding job and have great resumes,” said Selectman Mike McCoy. “I was impressed by both, but was more impressed by Brian Perry,” said Selectman Kevin Caira. “He has Munis experience and was part of a conversation. He’s also familiar with the Board of Assessors. He’s an auditor. I think either candidate is good. We win with either one of them. For my flavor, I’m partial to Brian Perry.”“Mr. Perry has well-thought out answers to questions he couldn’t have been prepared for in a setting that was not your typical job interview,” added Selectwoman Jomarie O’Mahony. “What really differentiated the two is that Mr. Perry is currently managing a $300 million+ budget for the City of Lowell, which is three times our budget.”“I was partial to Mrs. Finnegan,” said Selectman Jonathan Eaton, who noted Finnegan has nearly 20 years more experience in municipal finance than Perry. “I felt the fraud she uncovered in her prior employment was very impressive. I do feel that she would fit in with the other finance offices here than Mr. Perry might… Experience matters a lot. I’m not going to go home disappointed if Mrs. Finnegan doesn’t get the position. I do think she’s my preference.”“I agree these were two highly qualified candidates. Very educated. Impressive resumes… They’re pretty equal when you look at them side by side. Both did well in the interviews,” said Selectmen Chair Greg Bendel. “I thought Mr. Perry had the edge when it came to interviewing. We can’t wrong with either one.”“Both could perform the job very well. They offer a different set of strengths. Mr. Perry’s municipal accounting experience and as a member of the Board of Assessors gives him a bit of an edge with respect of understanding the Board,” said Town Manager Jeff Hull, when asked for his opinion. “In terms of learning curves, Mr. Perry does not seem to be familiar with the municipal borrowing process, which is certainly something that can be learned… There will be an adjustment for Mr. Perry from going to a city-form government to a Town Meeting/Board of Selectmen… [Mrs. Finnegan] has been a Treasurer/Collector and Town Accountant, which perhaps gives her a greater breadth of experience as Mr. Perry, so there’s pluses and minuses on both sides…. In the end, whichever way the board goes, we’re in a good situation.”On a motion made by Selectman McCoy and a second on Selectwoman O’Mahony, Brian Perry received 4 votes. Selectman Eaton was the lone no vote.Hull told Selectmen he will discuss the terms and conditions for employment with Perry. Perry’s term will expire annually.Current Town Accountant Mike Morris is retiring on July 12.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email wilmingtonapple@gmail.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedSELECTMEN NEWS: Board To Interview 2 Finalists For Finance Director/Town Accountant On Wednesday NightIn “Government”5 QUICK QUESTIONS with Wilmington’s New Finance Director Bryan Perry (Part 2)In “5 Quick Questions”5 QUICK QUESTIONS with Wilmington’s New Finance Director Bryan PerryIn “5 Quick Questions”last_img read more