Floyd Mayweather Jr., the boxing megamillionaire who has had his own issues with controversial race-related comments, said he has an interest in purchasing the Los Angeles Clippers, which likely will be up for sale by banned owner Donald Sterling after NBA owners vote to force him to sell, as suggested by the league’s commissioner.Mayweather, a regular at Clippers and Lakers games in Los Angeles, met with a group of reporters in a VIP lounge at the MGM Grand, where he will face fellow welterweight titleholder Marcos Maidana in a unification fight in a Showtime network pay-per-view main event on Saturday night.Insisting he was serious, Mayweather said he spoke with his adviser, Al Haymon, about teaming with Mayweather Promotions chief executive Leonard Ellerbe, Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Richard Schaefer and possibly others to make a bid for the Clippers.“I called Al about that to see if me, Leonard and Al, and hopefully Richard and a couple of other guys, a couple other of my billionaire guys, we can come together and see what we can come up with,” Mayweather said. “Hopefully, we can do it, and it’s not just talk.“With me, I can’t come in talking about Mayweather only gonna get 3 percent, 4 percent. I got to get a solid percentage. Do we want to buy the Clippers? Yes, we do. We are very, very interested in buying the Clippers. We’ll keep the Clippers right where they’re at. When I’m not boxing, I’m at the games all the time. We do want to buy the Clippers. . .. and we can afford the Clippers.”Mayweather, an avid sports gambler in Las Vegas, where he lives, added, “Once I get ownership in the Clippers I can no longer bet, so I have to stop that completely.”Mayweather, whose $73.5 million in minimum purses for his two fights in 2013 made him the world’s highest-paid athlete, said his interactions with Sterling had been positive.“Donald Sterling, he’s been getting a lot of negative press and my thing is this–I don’t have nothing negative to say about this guy,” Mayweather said. “He’s always treated me with the utmost respect. He has always invited me to games, always. Has always told me, ‘Floyd, I want you to sit right next to me and my wife.’ I don’t know about the [alleged] mistress. But I’m talking about him and the wife.”Schaefer, who has been promoting his fights since 2007, said: “When (Mayweather) tells you guys he’s interested in buying the Clippers, he’s not just saying that for an interview. He’s really serious about it and I’m sure he could rally the necessary people around him to support him in a bid like that.”Mayweather is not the only celebrity to show interest in buying the team. Music and film mogul David Geffen also could be a candidate, according to the Los Angeles Times.Mayweather’s own past issues with making racist remarks could prove to be a hurdle, as could his history of legal troubles and affinity for gambling. He has been known to often wager six-figure sums on NBA games.In 2010, he unleashed a profanity-filled rant with racial overtones in an Internet video against Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao, with whom he has not been able to make a deal to fight in what would be boxing’s biggest event.
null Aston Martin DBS Superleggera has gorgeous looks and… Now playing: Watch this: Enlarge ImageLeave it to Aston Martin and Zagato to create a car with a grille that literally flows when the vehicle is started up. Aston Martin Aston Martin and design house Zagato have a six-decade-long relationship, combining forces to create some of the most stunning vehicles on the road. As part of Zagato’s 100th birthday, Aston Martin will offer up 19 examples of the new DBS GT Zagato, and the automaker is finally ready to show off its production-ready shape and offer up a bit more information about what to expect.Aston Martin on Tuesday unveiled a small handful of pictures that show the production form of the DBS GT Zagato alongside its old-school sibling, the DB4 GT Zagato Continuation. Starting with a DBS Superleggera, the body picks up some wild new styling, including a full carbon roof that eliminates the rear glass, as well as some stunning taillights, new flourishes on the sides and a curvaceous front end.To accommodate the roof, Aston Martin created a camera-based rearview mirror that still allows the driver to see behind the vehicle without any rear windshield. Consider it like those mass-market mirrors that let you swap between normal and camera-based viewing, only the former is impossible because there actually isn’t any rear glass at all. If you think that’s wild, take a look at the grille. It looks intricate, sure, but it’s even crazier than you might think. The grille comprises 108 pieces of diamond-shaped carbon fiber. When the car is off, the grille looks sealed up with a flush appearance, but upon starting the car, those pieces “flutter into life,” as Aston puts it, physically opening up to provide the car’s V12 engine with air. Good luck trying to get that repaired anywhere but the dealership.At a cost of roughly $8 million, the grille had damn well better mimic a living being. But then again, that price tag doesn’t just include one car. DBS GT Zagato buyers also receive a DB4 GT Zagato Continuation model, a handbuilt coupe finished in the same hue as the original DB4 GT Zagato cars that were built in the 1960s. All of a sudden, paying $8 million for two utterly stunning small-batch creations doesn’t sound so obscene.Enlarge ImageThe rear end of the DBS GT Zagato is breathtaking, and not just because it lacks a rear windshield. Aston Martin Aston Martin Preview • 2019 Aston Martin DBS Superleggera: Beast mode More about 2019 Aston Martin DBS Superleggera 2020 Hyundai Sonata first drive: An attractive and compelling midsize sedan Exotic Cars Superluxury Cars Performance Cars Coupes 2020 Hyundai Palisade review: Posh enough to make Genesis jealous Share your voice 0 More From Roadshow 2020 BMW M340i review: A dash of M makes everything better Tags 8:32
Kolkata: Vietnam is looking at Bengal as a major gateway in its stride for developing trade relations with the Eastern states of the country, Ambassador, Embassy of Vietnam in India, Ton Sinh Thanh said on Wednesday.”Vietnam has received investment of 320 billion US dollars from across the world for 25,000 projects. But investment from India has been only 1 billion US dollars for 130 projects. This is a small amount and we want things to move. We want to attract more tourists to Vietnam from India as well as Bengal,” Thanh said at an interactive session on “Bila-teral Trade between India and Vietnam: Prospects and Way Ahead” at MCCI. Also Read – Heavy rain hits traffic, flightsSadhan Pande , state minister for Consumer Affairs, Self Help Group and Self Employment, who was the special guest at the event, urged the Ambassador to consider making Bengal a hub for the country. “Bengal is at the crossroad of South East Asia and you can move to any Eastern state from here. So, you may consider making Bengal a hub as part of your efforts to develop relationship between the two countries,” Pande said.He added that Vietnam needs to play a more positive role in attracting tourists from the country. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Merc, 2 B’deshi bystanders killed”People from the country as well as Bengal travel a lot to Bangkok and Bali. Vietnam should also come in the picture of wooing tourists from here,” he added.According to the Ambassador, only 1,10,000 Indians visited Vietnam, while a little over 1 million Indians went to Thailand. Pointing out connectivity as a constraint, he said, “We are working on improving connectivity between the two countries. A direct flight from Delhi to Vietnam is going to commence in September 2018. Bengal is also very much on our radar. The Indian government is promoting a Look East policy and developing closer business ties with South East Asia and Bengal is the gateway to the Eastern states,” Thanh said.
Free Workshop | August 28: Get Better Engagement and Build Trust With Customers Now This story appears in the November 2005 issue of Entrepreneur. Subscribe » 2 min read November 1, 2005 This hands-on workshop will give you the tools to authentically connect with an increasingly skeptical online audience. Tired of the increasing costs of credit card transactions? A group of merchants have banded together to fight back with class action lawsuits charging Visa, MasterCard and other leading banks with illegally fixing prices on interchange fees.”The banks have become increasingly greedy with their fees, which is making life difficult for retailers and driving up prices for their customers,” explains Mallory Duncan, senior vice president and general counsel of the National Retail Federation. “Visa and MasterCard are essentially monopolies, and they are using their status as monopolies to increase profits at the expense of consumers.”Interchange fees–fees banks collect from retailers every time a credit card or debit card is used to pay for a purchase–first came under fire in 2003 when retailers won the right not to accept certain high-fee debit cards. In July 2005, Kroger Co. followed suit by banding with several other large retailers to charge Visa USA Inc. and Visa International Service Association with colluding on fees. And now small businesses are joining in with a suit filed by Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi LLP on behalf of five businesses in California, Connecticut and Minnesota alleging that banks violate anti-trust laws by conspiring to fix interchange rates.Duncan attributes the rash of suits to a seemingly arbitrary bump in interchange fees, which have jumped from a weighted average of 1.58 percent in 1998 to 1.75 percent in 2004, the NRF reports–an increase of 10.8 percent. “[Retailers’] costs are in the hands of a third party who has no incentive to keep them in check,” says Duncan.While quick to note that legal processes take time, Duncan is optimistic about the suit against Visa. “We’re talking about a case with $20 billion a year in fees at stake,” he notes. “This is major litigation filed by reputable attorneys with the potential to bring about real change.” Enroll Now for Free
In an exclusive interview given to Forbes yesterday, WhatsApp co-founder Brian Actons opened up for the first time since he left Facebook 10 months ago, about why he left Facebook and why he regrets selling the company to Facebook, criticizing Facebook’s monetization strategy. In a post titled, “The other side of the story”, head of Facebook Messenger unit, David Marcus responded back to Acton’s allegations. About four years ago, Acton and his co-founder, Jan Koum, sold WhatsApp to Facebook for $22 billion making it Facebook’s largest acquisition till date. Ten months ago, Acton quit Facebook stating, he was looking to work for a non-profit. Then in March, as Facebook was at the receiving end of a public backlash after the Cambridge Analytica Scandal, he sent out a viral tweet: “It is time. #deletefacebook.” with no explanation. Pretty soon, momentum gathered behind the #DeleteFacebook campaign, with several media outlets publishing guides on how to permanently delete Facebook accounts. In April, the other Whatsapp co-founder Jan Koum also left Facebook due to the difference of opinion over data privacy and the messaging app’s business model, according to a report from The Washington Post. What Acton has said in the Forbes Interview After several months of this tweet, Acton has now opened up about why he left Facebook and his regrets over selling WhatsApp to Facebook. He also talks about his disagreements with Mark Zuckerberg. In an interview with Forbes, he seems to feel remorse for his actions, stating “I sold my users’ privacy to a larger benefit. I made a choice and a compromise. And I live with that every day.” He further states that Facebook “isn’t the bad guy, just very good businesspeople.” Facebook had tried to put a nondisclosure agreement in place, as part of his proposed settlement in the end. Acton says, “That was part of the reason that I got sort of cold feet in terms of trying to settle with these guys. It was like, okay, well, you want to do these things I don’t want to do,” Acton says. “It’s better if I get out of your way. And I did.” He refused to take the deal and lost $800 million in the process. Acton also says that he was never able to develop a rapport with Zuckerberg. “I couldn’t tell you much about the guy,” he says. Acton was unhappy with Facebook’s monetization strategy. Facebook wanted WhatsApp to make money via showing targeted ads in WhatsApp’s Status feature and also selling businesses (and later analytics) tools to chat with WhatsApp users. Both these proposals were criticized by Acton who felt it “broke a social compact with its users.” His vision for Whatsapp being “No ads, no games, no gimmicks”. David Marcus’ ‘The other side of the story’ Acton’s interview has not gone down well with many in Facebook evident from the strong emotional response applauding Marcus’ post from those within Facebook. David Marcus, one of Facebook’s high-level executives in the Facebook messaging unit, has publicly responded stating that the “interview of Brian Acton that contained statements, and recollection of events that differ greatly from the reality I witnessed first-hand.” However, he did clarify early on that this is his personal view and not that of Facebook’s and that he has not been asked by anyone at Facebook to post his account of what happened. He says that Mark Zuckerberg has always supported founders and their teams much better than others even at a cost to the company. Per his post, “WhatsApp founders requested a completely different office layout when their team moved on campus. Much larger desks and personal space, a policy of not speaking out loud in the space, and conference rooms made unavailable to fellow Facebookers nearby. This irritated people at Facebook, but Mark personally supported and defended it.” He also called Acton’s claims that Facebook wanted WhatsApp to become a money-minting app, dubious. End-to-end encryption on WhatsApp happened after the acquisition. Jan Koum played a key role in convincing Mark of the importance of encryption. Once with Mark’s full support, whenever the encryption proposal faced backlash, it was defended by him—never for advertising or data collection but about concerns for ‘safety’. Mark’s view was that WhatsApp was a private messaging app, and encryption helped ensure that people’s messages were truly private. Marcus also accuses Acton of “slow-playing development” while advocating for business messaging. “If you have internal questions about it, then work hard to prove that your approach has legs and demonstrate the value. Don’t be passive-aggressive about it,” he added. He also completely demolished Acton’s statements by saying that he finds Acton’s actions a new standard of low-class. “I find attacking the people and company that made you a billionaire, and went to an unprecedented extent to shield and accommodate you for years, low-class.” He also took a hidden jibe at other tech companies saying, “Facebook is truly the only company that’s singularly about people. Not about selling devices. Not about delivering goods with less friction. Not about entertaining you. Not about helping you find information. Just about people.”. This part of his perspective has been criticized by the public most. People, in general, had varied views about Marcus’ post. While some agreed Others sided with Acton. Source: Facebook As of now, there is no official response from Facebook. Read Next How far will Facebook go to fix what it broke: Democracy, Trust, Reality. The White House is reportedly launching an antitrust investigation against social media companies. Mark Zuckerberg publishes Facebook manifesto for safeguarding against political interference.