Kiwi pair survives 19 days lost in ‘Mines of Moria’ national park

first_imgHe said a helicopter flew within 50 meters at one point but failed to spot them, prompting the pair to light a fire to signal future searchers.The tactic paid off about a week later, when another chopper saw the column of smoke and found them.Reynolds said he and O’Connor, both experienced hikers, never gave up hope, although he admitted that at times during the ordeal it was difficult to remain optimistic.”It was a surreal experience, trying to keep positive and keep hope up,” he said.”Jess and I would wake up in the morning and say ‘if it’s not today [rescue], it’s tomorrow’, we were lifting each other and we’d make sure neither of us was going to break down.”He said one of the helicopter crew gave him a snack as they flew out of the wilderness, describing it as “the best chocolate bar I’ve ever had in my life”. The pair had only minor injuries suffered during falls as they desperately searched for water, with Reynolds twisting his ankle and O’Connor wrenching her back.Reynolds said they became lost in fog that lasted three days, and boiled water from “a little rocky puddle” to drink as their food supplies dwindled.”We were very lost at this point,” he told Radio New Zealand, saying they eventually decided to make camp and “wait out our injuries”.”It was 13 days with no food but the saving grace was that two minutes’ walk across the gully was a fresh mossy stream that was nice and clean for us to drink — that’s what kept up alive.” Two New Zealand hikers survived 19 days in a rugged national park home to the shooting location for the “Mines of Moria” in the Lord of the Rings films, drinking puddle water to stay alive, they said Thursday. Dion Reynolds and Jessica O’Connor, both 23, set off on a five-day camping trip in Kahurangi National Park on the South Island on May 8 but became disorientated in heavy fog.A military helicopter rescued them on Wednesday after a huge search operation in the area, which was the shooting location for Frodo and the Fellowship’s escape from the grim Mines of Moria in Peter Jackson’s blockbuster Lord of the Rings films.center_img Topics :last_img read more

Cricket News Christchurch shooting: Canterbury cricket club cancels first-class league match

first_imghighlights The Christchurch shootings killed 49.New Zealand vs Bangladesh Test in Hagley Oval, Christchurch. Central Districts won the Plunket Shield after Canterbury cancelled the game. New Delhi: The Plunket Shield is the domestic first-class competition in New Zealand. The next round of matches were expected to take place at various venues in the country, including Christchurch. However, the mosque shootings in the city which took place on March 15, has resulted in some changes. Canterbury, the region where Christchurch is located, withdrew from their final match of the season following Friday’s attack, according to a report in the New Zealand Herald. Canterbury’s final four-day match against Wellington had been scheduled to begin at the Basin Reserve. “The team showed a united front in terms of the decision,” said Canterbury Cricket CEO Jeremy Curwin. “It is clear that this tragedy will affect people in different ways, and Canterbury Cricket is here to support our players however we can. “We fully respect their decision, and I am incredibly proud of how they conducted themselves throughout this process.”Leading the competition, Central Districts will be presented with the trophy next week at Hamilton’s Seddon Park. New Zealand Cricket (NZC) CEO David White said, “This isn’t about cricket; it’s about something much bigger and much more important than that. It’s about life, it’s about respect; it’s about family and community. Cricket and sport takes a back seat to personal welfare.” Meanwhile, the Super Rugby match between the Crusaders and the Highlanders in Dunedin has also been called off in the wake of the shootings.The third and final Test match between New Zealand and Bangladesh at the Hagley Oval in Christchurch, which was scheduled to be played on Saturday, was cancelled after multiple shootings in mosques in the city. The official Twitter handle of the New Zealand cricket team, @BLACKCAPS, had tweeted that a joint decision was made. “Our heartfelt condolences go out to the families and friends of those affected by the shocking situation in Christchurch. A joint decision between NZC and the Bangladesh Cricket Board has been made to cancel the Hagley Oval Test. Again both teams and support staff groups are safe,” they tweeted.The Bangladesh cricket team, who are touring New Zealand and will play the third and final Test at the Hagley Oval in Christchurch on Saturday, had a narrow escape. A video tweeted by Bangladesh’s ESPNCricinfo correspondent Mohammad Isam showed the Bangladesh cricketers Tamim Iqbal and Taijul Islam running back from Hagley Park back to the cricket ground. The incident took place around 1.45pm local time when the team had gone to pray when the incident took place.The Hagley Oval Test match was the last international match for both the teams before the start of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 which will be held in England. Tim Southee was appointed as the captain of the side after Kane Williamson was ruled out due to a pectoral injury. Will Young was going to make his debut in this Test match but it will now have to wait after the cancellation.center_img For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.last_img read more