VAN NUYS – Johnny Cano was just walking home, bringing his nephew diapers, when two gangsters killed him in broad daylight – and no one knows why. Johnny, who turned 15 just four days before the unidentified killers shot him in the chest and head Jan. 6, was a good kid and a dedicated student. He died not because he said something, did something or claimed a neighborhood. He didn’t run with a gang, police said. After nearly a year of dead ends from witnesses, the Los Angeles City Council offered a $50,000 reward Monday, hoping the money will loosen silent tongues. “Someone had to see something,” said a tearful Roxana Cano, the victim’s 21-year-old sister. “Someone has to know something.” AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsThe suspected shooter, described only as a teenage Latino wearing a gray hooded sweat shirt and white shorts, killed Johnny shortly after noon with several shots from a revolver at Van Nuys Boulevard and Sherman Way. The shooter dashed to a waiting white car driven by a second Latino and disappeared down Sherman Way. That was all the police knew in January and all they know now, they said. At the time, detectives suspected it might have simply been a case of mistaken identity over the way Johnny was dressed. Eleven months of investigation have brought them no closer to solving the case. “We’re in the same place we were a year ago,” said Los Angeles police Capt. Jim Miller, commanding officer of the Van Nuys Division. “At 12 noon on a Saturday, at one of the busiest intersections in all of Los Angeles and no one saw anything. This is very, very frustrating for our detectives.” And so he asked the council for what he views as a weapon of last resort: a reward for information leading to the suspects’ capture. While the money generally brings in more tips, he said, they’re often not accurate. But anything would be better than what witnesses have offered so far, said Councilman Tony Cárdenas, who represents the area. “A good kid, minding his own business, walking home from buying diapers for his sister’s baby – it’s unconscionable,” Cárdenas said. “There’s a lot of people who are afraid, but we’ve got to prove that what’s right will prevail. Hopefully, someone will come forward so we can nail this guy.” Losing Johnny proved so painful the family has since left Van Nuys and moved to Phoenix to leave bad memories behind. His mother, Maria Terrazas, looked at the oversized snapshot police brought to the news conference and touched her late son’s face. He never gave her a hard time, she said. He dreamed of going to college to become an architect so he could build her a house one day. He left behind sketches. Tears rolled down her face as she choked back sobs. “I only ask: If there’s a person who saw something, any detail, anything, please call,” Terrazas said. “Call, so there won’t be more kids like my son, struggling in the streets.” firstname.lastname@example.org 818-713-3738160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
25 October 2012 The government is considering a bigger role for the private sector and the country’s development finance institutions in order to boost funding for South Africa’s infrastructure drive, says Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan. Gordhan’s Medium Term Budget Policy Statement, which he presented in the National Assembly in Cape Town on Thursday, reveals that the pace of public infrastructure spending has picked up over the past 12 months. Gordhan told Parliament that the Presidential Infrastructure Co-ordinating Commission (PICC) had reviewed the details of 18 strategic infrastructure programmes, which would add to the current R845-billion infrastructure build programmes already in progress.Build programmes to accelerate investment He said the build programmes would accelerate energy, transport, water and housing investment, open up mining and industrial opportunities and give greater impetus to building economic linkages across southern Africa. “Strategic infrastructure programmes represent large and long-term financial commitments,” he said, adding that the budget provided for part of the funding required, while state-owned enterprises were making substantial investments in their areas of responsibility. While the bulk of infrastructure spending was financed from the balance sheets of state-owned companies, the fiscus funded the provision of social infrastructure, delivered primarily through provinces and municipalities, he said.Private sector investment down in 2011 The Medium Term Budget Policy Statement noted, however, that growth in private sector investment had slowed over 2011, as South African businesses refrained from developing new projects in an environment of weaker business confidence. In contrast, gross fixed capital formation by the public sector grew at 10.9% during the first half of this year, with Eskom, Transnet and the SA National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral) accounting for 95% of all capital spending by state-owned enterprises. Government spending on water, sanitation and road infrastructure had also picked up, supporting a nascent recovery in South Africa’s construction sector. The National Treasury believes that as the economic environment improves, rising confidence should result in a gradual improvement in private sector gross fixed capital formation. It said that, with private businesses accounting for about 71% of economic activity and over 75% of jobs, it was crucial to create a buoyant private sector that worked in partnership with an effective government. Domestic growth is expected to remain modest next year and to increase over the next three years, but Gordhan added that faster growth was needed to create the jobs South Africa needs. Source: SANews.gov.za
The Minister of Trade and Industry, Dr Rob Davies officially launches the upgraded Seshego Industrial Park in Polokwane on 28 July 2016. (Image: The DTI, Twitter)Johannesburg, Monday 29 August 2016 – Brand South Africa, in partnership with the Departments of Trade and Industry, Home Affairs, the Industrial Development Corporation and the National Research Foundation will host media in Polokwane, Limpopo where elements of the province’s competitiveness will be showcased. The visit is scheduled from Tuesday 30 August – Thursday 1 September 2016.This comes within the context of Brand South Africa’s mandate to positively position South Africa’s competitiveness. Provincial and city brands are the building blocks of the Nation Brand. Competitive strengths of provinces and cities therefore impact positively on the South African Nation Brand.In this regard, the following sectors will be profiled in Polokwane: investment, manufacturing, agriculture, research as well as science and technology.Media will visit the Seshego Industrial Park recently re-launched by Minister Davies; the Seshego Hospital to experience early registration of birth to communicate how this will contribute to the integrity, credibility and reliability of the national population register; Kay T’s Green Tea – a South African company in the business of processing Kombucha Green Tea on a commercial basis for 8 years; the University of Limpopo where some scientific innovations will be showcased as well as attend the annual Awards function hosted by Minister Pandor and the National Research Foundation.Participate in the conversation on #ExperienceSA #SANationBrand
Panaji: Accusing the Congress of misusing the Article 365 of the Constitution time and again to topple State governments during its rule, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) national president Amit Shah on Saturday said the BJP did not commit Constitutional impropriety while forming a coalition government in Goa.Mr. Shah was speaking at a rally organised by the State BJP, where he and Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar were felicitated for their roles in government formation after the Assembly elections, in which the party came second to the Congress with 13 MLAs in the 40-member Goa Assembly. The Congress had emerged as the single largest party in the polls with 17 MLAs. Seven Ministers had lost their seats from the erstwhile coalition government, including the then Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar.The BJP national president also criticised the All India Congress Committee (AICC) General Secretary in-charge of Goa, Digvijay Singh, for failing to swiftly elect a legislative party leader, a key step in government formation post-results.“I want to ask Digvijayji, when BJP leaders with [Union Minister] Nitin Gadkari went to meet the [Goa] Governor, were you even able to elect CLP leader by then? [Congress] were not even able to choose their legislative leader,” he said.The Union Minister for Roads Transport and Highways and Shipping, Mr. Gadkari, credited Mr. Shah as being the architect of the government formation. He also denied any illegality in the process. He revealed some of the behind-the-scenes aggressive manoeuvring done by Mr. Shah, who worked with Prime Minister Narendra Modi and key members of the BJP’s parliamentary board, to effect the party’s victory in the State.The BJP had received the support of three MLAs from Goa Forward Party and the Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party, and three Independent MLAs, which cleared the way for formation of a coalition government. The Congress had alleged that Constitutional provisions were violated by the BJP in the process.Mr. Gadkari said, “We did not do anything wrong. In the history of India, in the Lok Sabha and the legislative Assembly elections, those who have a majority are invited to form the government.”He added, “The real architect of Goa victory is Amit Shah. My mood was that we may not form a government, so we should give up. But he called me to his home and told me to go to Goa and that a government should be formed in any condition.”Congress a ‘rare species’Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar said the Congress would soon become a “rare species” on the canvas of Indian politics. He also said the BJP could come to power in Goa only because of the party’s Central leadership and the Congress leadership’s inability to act swiftly to form a government.“We have to think as to why we dropped from 21 to 13 [MLAs]. We were lucky that the party’s Central leadership was behind us. They gave us full support and to our luck, the person who the Congress had sent here [referring to Digvijaya Singh] was more interested in being a tourist,” Mr. Parrikar said.Mr. Parrikar also said the Congress would also lose the Karnataka Assembly polls scheduled next year.“Congress is like an extinct species. Like the wildlife species which a forest department tracks down when it is on its way to becoming extinct. It is there in Karnataka, but next year it will disappear from there too,” Mr. Parrikar said.Speaking about his government’s plans, Mr. Parrikar said, “One thing I learned in Delhi is to speak less and work more. This time [as a Chief Minister] I have decided to speak less. Whatever work we do, people will see for themselves.”
Shankaracharya of Puri Swami Nischalananda Saraswati on Saturday said the Odisha government took a unilateral decision to demolish structures within 75-metre radius of Shree Jagannath Temple and he was not consulted on this important matter.Terming the ongoing demolition a conspiracy, the seer said the committee headed by former Orissa High Court Judge B.P. Das neither met him nor consulted him. The committee had suggested clearing the area around the 12th century temple of encroachments for its security.The Jagannath temple affairs should be regulated by religious processes and mutts’ activities follow similar process, he said.The seer’s reaction came in the wake of ongoing demolition of the 12th century Emar Mutt, close to the temple. Even as the eviction drive is under way, mutt Mahant Rajgopal Ramanuj Dash has been protesting the move and refused to vacate the structure.
Union Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh has criticised the organisers of the Commonwealth Games (CWG) and said that the poor state of preparedness has dented India’s image severely. Jairman, who is in New York along with External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna for the United Nations General Assembly session, hoped that the CWG controversy would end soon. “It is pretty depressing to read such things in the international media. India’s image has taken a beating,” Jairman told Headlines Today. “I hope we come out of this soon.” “We are among the fastest growing economies. We could have done without this embarrassment,” he said. Krishna, on the other hand, said he would do all he could to reassure leaders of Commonwealth nations about the CWG.”If there are any misgivings, we will certainly try to set it right,” Krishna said.
Leading from the front, stand-in Indian skipper Rohit Sharma slammed his third double century in ODIs on Wednesday during the 2nd ODI between India and Sri Lanka. Sharma scored an unbeaten double century as India scored 392 for 4 at the PCA cricket stadium in Mohali, Chandigarh. The right-handed batsman sent the Sri Lankan bowlers on a leather hunt and became the first player on the planet to cross the 200-run mark thrice in ODIs. In the process, he surpassed multiple records as India set a target of 393 runs. Sharma ended his innings on an unbeaten 208, thereby becoming the second captain to score a double ton in the history of cricket.He scored the coveted double off 151 balls in grand style in the final over of India’s innings. In his brilliant knock, he hit 13 fours and 12 sixes.While his performance speaks all about him, here are six interesting facts about Rohit Sharma that you should not miss:Rohit Sharma can fluently converse in four languages — English, Hindi, Marathi and TeluguLike many cricketers, Rohit Sharma did not want to become a batsman. He began his career as an Off-Spinner. But his coach Dinesh Lad noticed Rohit’s potential with the bat and transformed him into a batsmanRohit Sharma’s parents could not afford to pay his school fees. So, he was given a scholarship in his school just because of his cricketing abilityRohit Sharma was the first Indian to score a hundred in T20s when he scored one for Mumbai against Gujarat in the 2006-07 edition of the Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 competition. He scored 101 not out off 45 balls with 13 fours and five sixesadvertisementRohit Sharma is an ardent fan of Manchester UnitedRohit Sharma is the 2nd Indian to score a century in a knock-out match in ICC World Cup history. First to do so was Sourav Ganguly against Kenya in 2003Interested in General Knowledge and Current Affairs? Click here to stay informed and know what is happening around the world with our G.K. and Current Affairs section.To get more updates on Current Affairs, send in your query by mail to email@example.com
zoom With the launch of the new carrier alliances on the east-west trades on April 1, 2017, the demand for vessels and the final tally of containership tonnage is set to increase by 5% in TEU capacity and by 4% in vessel count compared to March, according to Alphaliner.Compared against the peak season deployment of summer 2016, total vessel capacity planned for this summer on the revamped Asia-Europe, Transpacific and Transatlantic routes will be 2% higher.At the same time, the number of deployed ships is set to fall as carriers continue upgrading services to larger vessel sizes.“The tonnage removed as a result of Hanjin Shipping’s withdrawal from the east-west trades in September 2016 will be fully restored with the new services launched on April 1 by the 2M+HMM, OCEAN Alliance and THE Alliance, as well as various independent carriers including newcomer SM Line who kicked off its new Transpacific service last week,” Alphaliner said.Of the 913 ships to be deployed on the east-west services, carriers have secured most of the required tonnage, with some seven ships still to be named, according to Alphaliner’s data.An analysis of the vessel deployment by size range showed increases in the 14,000-20,000 TEU segment as well as the 5,500-10,000 TEU size segment, while the 10,000-13,300 TEU sector shrunk together with the smaller 3,000-5,100 TEU sector.
Recommended for you Related Items:fifa, fifa gate, jamie doward, jose maggulies, robert stephens Cayman Islands Football official arrested for money laundering Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 01 Jun 2015 – Turks and Caicos is caught up in the scandalous FIFA Gate case, and according to a weekend report in the Jamaica Observer, this UK overseas territory figures prominently in the US Department of Justice 164 page indictment. So far 14 football officials and marketing executives have been arrested for alleged kickbacks in FIFA Gate. The article, written by Jamie Doward and Robert Stephens says: “British overseas tax havens play a key role in what US authorities have called “rampant, systemic and deep-rooted” corruption in the world of football… the British Virgin Islands (BVI), the Cayman Islands and the Turks and Caicos, all tax havens – allegedly played a part in masking kickbacks between officials and executives.” The TCI was specifically implicated with the inclusion of defendant, marketing executive Jose Margulies who is said to have had a controlling stake in a firm called Somerton, based in the Turks and Caicos. According to the indictment, Margulies used the accounts of Somerton and a Panama-based firm to “mask the sources and beneficiaries of bribe and kickback payments”. Tax havens, not the kind of title these jurisdictions – including the TCI – embrace and yet the analysis by the Observer explains that the implication by the DOJ will cause a further clampdown on the banking sector. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp
Liverpool defender Dejan Lovren believes manager Jurgen Klopp has found the right ingredients to sustain a title challenge which was previously missing from the squadThe Reds have finished the first half of the season unbeaten with 16 wins and 12 clean sheets thanks to the rejuvenated defence (Virgil Van Dijk and Alisson)Others who have made a difference are Xherdan Shaqiri and Fabinho – the latter two both scorers against Newcastle.Asked what the difference was from previous years, Lovren told the Scotsman: “I think experience. There are quite a lot of players still here and it was like a puzzle, you just keep bringing these players you missed and now I think it’s a perfect match.Virgil van Dijk praises Roberto Firmino after Liverpool’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Virgil van Dijk hailed team-mate Roberto Firmino after coming off the bench to inspire Liverpool to a 3-1 comeback win against Newcastle United.“There has always been something missing all these years but I think now we have everything.“But it doesn’t mean anything. Even Manchester City has in every position two players, top players.”The Croatian said; “The foundation isn’t about five players at the back. It’s about Mo, Bobby, Sadio, Shaq, everyone up front, they are the first defenders. We know when we don’t concede a goal, we score. That’s the key for us and we need to always stay hungry. When we lose the ball, get it back quickly.”“There’s no pressure, to be honest. In the previous years, yes, but now when you look in the dressing room, when you go into Melwood in the morning, everybody is happy,” he added. “Nobody talks about anything else than the next game. We can’t talk about something that will happen in five-six months, we go game by game and we will see where we finish.”