Raymond Graham Gleaner Writer When the ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls Athletics Championships gets underway on Tuesday, March 28, there will be several adjustments to the five-days programme after principals voted in overwhelming support of five ___ At an ISSA meeting at the Terra Nova Hotel, the principals, who make up the membership of the organisation ratified the five proposed changes that were recommended by the technical committee of championships. All 105 principals present at the meeting reportedly voted in favour of the changes which will see the boys 400m hurdles now being contested in Class One and Class Two; only girls from classes one and two girls will be allowed to compete in the 3000m and the 2000m steeplechase and athletes will only be allowed to do two individual events and two relays, except in field events where athletes can do three individual events ands and one relay. Also girls competing in the heptathlon can only do one other individual event while boys contesting the decathlon will not be allowed to do any other event. Additional, only classes one and two boys can compete in the 5000m and 3000m steeplechase. Keith Wellington, Vice President of ISSA and Principal of St Elizabeth Technical was very pleased with the outcome. “As a member of the executive I am very pleased to know that the principals gave their full support in voting for the new proposals as this is really for the protection for the students athletes,” Wellington told The Gleaner.
An Essequibo Coast businessman is now counting his losses after bandits reportedly broke into his mobile cellphone unit, which was parked at his residence and made off with over $3.5 million in items.The businessman, Nahib Sabar of Vilvoorden, Essequibo Coast, the owner of the N Sabar Cellphone Connection, reported that the mobile unit (a converted Canter truck) was broken into on Sunday morning between 01:00h and 02:30h.According to reports, Sabar discovered that he had been robed when he inspected the truck before leaving home for the Suddie Market.He observed that the unit had been ransacked and several computers, cellphones, and accessories had been removed.A phone backup charger and a single sock that do not belong to the businessman were left in the vehicle. The Police were immediately contacted.However, the businessman is reporting that he is unhappy with the manner in which the Police are conducting their investigations.“I am very disappointed in the way the G Division [Essequibo Coast-Islands] Police are investigating the matter… a phone backup charger and a single sock were left on the crime scene, but one of the investigating ranks took the phone backup charger and pushed it into his pants pocket and left the sock … why the Police did not have fingerprints taken, because the entire mobile unit was ransacked and fingerprints might be all over?” the man questioned.Further, Sabar is alleging that a neighbour who reportedly saw the commissioning of the robbery has been giving conflicting reports to the Police.“When he was arrested, he give the Police conflicting reports, but he was detained for 72 hours and subsequently released … a woman a few days later turned up here in Anna Regina and was trying to sell me a Edge 7 Samsung phone, which look like one of the phones I lost, but by the time I contacted the Police she escaped,” the businessman further revealed.Attempts to contact the Divisional Commander for a comment proved futile. Meanwhile, he offered a $500,000 reward for anyone with information that could lead to the arrest of the perpetrators and ultimately the stolen items.
SAINTS need to be more ruthless according to Head Coach Keiron Cunningham following their 24-12 loss to Wigan on Good Friday.“We had a couple of opportunities which we didn’t post and in those big games you have very limited chances,” he said. “We created quite a few opportunities but didn’t finish them off. I thought we started really well – in fact it was probably our best this year, but when the second wave of players came on the field one thing led to another and we ended up chasing our tail.“Possession in rugby league does ebb and flow, but we put ourselves in a bad spot in the last 15 minutes of the first half. You can’t win a game on the back foot. It felt like we were surviving for long periods.“Our left edge didn’t help us either. We have to make sides earn tries and we aren’t doing that at the moment. Jack Owens made a poor read on the first play but he is a young kid who is learning and I thought overall he had a decent game.“But apart from that, some of the tries they didn’t have to earn. We had to fight and scrap for what we did. It was disappointing but we have another big one on Monday to get over it.”He continued: “You can’t question the effort of the players in the second half. They fought well and showed guts and determination to get back into it but we have to be more ruthless. We can’t be this side that is famous for conceding tries and chasing it back.“We have to be ruthless, grind it out and kick the ball long – like Matty Smith did this afternoon. But that is my headache to have and no one else’s.“It does hurt. It is two points like last week and this coming Monday but emotionally there is a lot more around it.“We want to win these games but we have to perform better for longer periods.“We have to get some combinations we can work with. We need them on both sides of the field. We can’t build unless we have a stable defensive line and we haven’t got that.”