Reports suggest common source in family H5N1 cases

first_imgDec 10, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – Chinese officials said today that analysis of a virus sample from a 24-year-old man who died of H5N1 avian influenza shows no signs of a dangerous mutation, as some news reports said the man and his father, who is hospitalized with an H5N1 infection, both had eaten undercooked chicken.Mao Qun’an, a spokesman for China’s health ministry, told reporters today that though the son’s sample showed no evidence of mutation, authorities could not rule out the possibility of human-to-human transmission, Reuters reported.”The virus is still avian and has not undergone a mutation in its nature,” Qun’an said at a press conference. He said the men could have been infected from the same source or separate sources, according to Reuters.The 24-year-old man, from Nanjing in eastern China’s Jiangsu province, died on Nov 27 from an H5N1 infection, according to a previous report from the World Health Organization (WHO). Six days later his father was hospitalized, and on Dec 6 China’s national laboratory confirmed the man had an H5N1 infection, according to a WHO statement yesterday. The father is listed as China’s 27th H5N1 case-patient.News of the men’s H5N1 infections raised suspicions of human-to-human transmission after media reports and the WHO said the son had no known exposure to sick birds.However, Ta Kung Pao, a Hong Kong newspaper controlled by the mainland, reported today that both men had eaten undercooked chicken in Nanjing, the capital of Jiangsu, the Reuters report said. The claims came from unnamed sources.More details on the men’s alleged consumption of undercooked chicken were reported today by ProMED-mail, the Internet-based reporting system of the International Society for Infectious Diseases. The ProMED post consists of an English translation of a news article from Singtaonet.com, a newspaper based in Hong Kong.The ProMED post says the father and his wife took their son and his girlfriend to a restaurant at a temple, where the four ate a dish called “beggar’s chicken.” According to a 1990 report on beggar’s chicken from the New York Times, the chicken is stuffed with herbs, wrapped in lotus leaves, packed with “6 pounds of pond mud,” and baked at low heat for several hours.Two days after eating the chicken, the son became feverish and was hospitalized, the ProMED report said, adding that his father got sick 6 days after eating the meal. Relatives also said the father’s refrigerator was full of butchered chicken. The report speculates that the son got sick first because his immune system was weakened because he recently had undergone a series of rabies shots after he was bitten by one of his girlfriend’s dogs.Hans Troedsson, a WHO representative in China, said reports of the men eating undercooked chicken have not been confirmed, Reuters reported today.The father is recovering after treatment with oseltamivir at the onset of symptoms, Troedsson told the Associated Press (AP) today.Eighty-two people who had contact with the father and son are being monitored, but none appear to have symptoms, he told the AP.The two recent cases serve as a reminder that “the virus is circulating in the environment, (and) there is a risk that we will see these isolated cases,” Troedsson said.So far, there is no strong evidence of human-to-human transmission of the H5N1 virus, and the WHO has not received a request to help officials in Nanjing investigate, he told the AP. “We don’t see that is an imminent risk that these cases would be the start of a pandemic,” he said.See also:Dec 9 WHO statementDec 4 WHO statementDec 10 ProMED post on Chinese H5N1 casesDec 7 CIDRAP News story “Father of Chinese H5N1 fatality has infection”last_img read more

Deal, Carter are first in Friday Modified qualifiers

first_imgBOONE, Iowa (Sept. 11) – Nick Deal and Cayden Carter led geographically diverse groups of drivers in winning Friday night Modified qualifying features at the IMCA Speedway Motors Super Nationals fueled by Casey’s.Deal topped the caution-free opener, leading start to finish and taking the checkers three lapped cars ahead of fellow front row starter Ryan McDaniel. Adam Larson was scored third all 25 circuits and Johnny Scott moved into the final transfer spot with six to go.Carter was the third and final different leader in the nightcap at Boone Speedway, running in front the last 15 laps.Ryan Ruter settled into second, 11th starting Jason Cummins was third and Drew Christianson completed the top four.Five different states are represented by the Friday qualifiers. They’ll meet in a Saturday afternoon Rochambeau session in the Fan Zone to determine the starting order on the outside row of the main event.The drivers who have secured starting spots in the big dance thus far hale from 10 different states and two Canadian provinces. Last-chance qualifying completes the field of 33.Larson has now qualified for the main event for the sixth time in his career. Ruter and Christianson are both in for the fourth time, Deal and Cummins for the third.Carter, McDaniel and Scott all start their first Super Nationals Modified main.1st qualifying feature results – 1. Nick Deal, Walnut; 2. Ryan McDaniel, Olivehurst, Calif.; 3. Adam Larson, Ankeny; 4. Johnny Scott, Arroyo Hondo, N.M.; 5. Eric Dailey, Armstrong; 6. Harvey Vande Weerd, Alton; 7. Jim Thies, Mapleton; 8. Jay Steffens, North Platte, Neb.; 9. Tom Charles, Basehor, Kan.; 10. Jason Noll, Peoria, Ariz.; 11. Scott Drake, Joplin, Mo.; 12. Johnny Whitman, DePere, Wis.; 13. Todd Shute, Des Moines; 14. Dustin Smith, Lake City; 15. Mike Mashl, DePere, Wis.; 16. Josh Long, Little Suamico, Wis.; 17. Kelly Shryock, Fertile; 18. Tyler Heetland, Bancroft; 19. Michael Albertsen, Audubon; 20. Mark Elliott, Webster City; 21. Scott Davis, Madrid; 22. Mike Petersilie, Hoisington, Kan.; 23. Jeremy Mills, Garner; 24. Mark Schafman, Edwardsville, Kan.; 25. Josh Blumer, Marysville, Kan.; 26. Tim Murty, Tama; 27. Mitchell Hunt, Greenville, Mich.; 28. Jay Noteboom, Hinton; 29. Scotty Bough, Nevada, Mo.; 30. Jay Matthias, Green Bay, Wis.2nd qualifying feature results –  1. Cayden Carter, Oskaloosa; 2. Ryan Ruter, Kanawha; 3. Jason Cummins, New Richland, Minn.; 4. Drew Christianson, Minot, N.D.; 5. Stormy Scott, Arroyo Hondo, N.M.; 6. Tyler Droste, Waterloo; 7. Peyton Taylor, Batesville, Ark.; 8. Josh McGaha, Abilene, Texas; 9. Jeff Emerson, Millsap, Texas; 10. Jesse Sobbing, Malvern; 11. Clint Homan, Bellevue, Neb.; 12. Corey Lagroon, Salina, Kan.; 13. Steven Bowers Jr., Topeka, Kan.; 14. Nate Caruth, Ames; 15. Jason Murray, Hartford; 16. Regan Tafoya, Farmington, N.M.; 17. Jordy Nelson, Marysville, Kan.; 18. Keith White, Little River Academy, Texas; 19. Jonathan Snyder, Ames; 20. Curtis Cook, Conway, Ark.; 21. Jimmy Gustin, Marshalltown; 22. Greg Cox, Kellogg; 23. Mike Van Genderen, Newton; 24. Richie Gustin, Gilman; 25. Joel Bushore, Boone; 26. Joe Spillman, Austin, Texas; 27. John Logue, Boone; 28. Curt Lund, Redwood Falls, Minn.; 29. Dana Dankert, Columbus, Neb.; 30. Kyle Brown, State Center.last_img read more

Adebayor set for return

first_imgTottenham head coach Tim Sherwood is confident Emmanuel Adebayor will be available for next Monday’s match with Sunderland. The 30-year-old striker has missed Spurs’ past three matches with a hamstring problem and gash on his heel. However, top scorer Adebayor returned to training with the squad on Tuesday and is now in line for a return against Sunderland. “It’s great to see him back out there,” Sherwood told the club’s official website, www.tottenhamhotspur.com. “We’ll continue to assess him as the week progresses and hopefully he’ll then be back in contention against Sunderland. “He’s obviously been a big miss. He’s been outstanding for us.” center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Unemployment claims take biggest drop since pandemic began

first_imgDES MOINES — Continuing unemployment claims dropped again last week.Iowa Workforce Development says the number of continuing claims was down by almost 18,000 from the previous week to 116,810. IWD says that is the biggest drop in ongoing claims since the start of the pandemic.The number of first-time claims also dropped last week by around 1,100. There were still around 9,500 first-time claims –with manufacturing leading the way at 2,085 last week. The self-employed and independent contractors saw 1,703 first-time claims.last_img read more