highlights The Christchurch shootings killed 49.New Zealand vs Bangladesh Test in Hagley Oval, Christchurch. Central Districts won the Plunket Shield after Canterbury cancelled the game. New Delhi: The Plunket Shield is the domestic first-class competition in New Zealand. The next round of matches were expected to take place at various venues in the country, including Christchurch. However, the mosque shootings in the city which took place on March 15, has resulted in some changes. Canterbury, the region where Christchurch is located, withdrew from their final match of the season following Friday’s attack, according to a report in the New Zealand Herald. Canterbury’s final four-day match against Wellington had been scheduled to begin at the Basin Reserve. “The team showed a united front in terms of the decision,” said Canterbury Cricket CEO Jeremy Curwin. “It is clear that this tragedy will affect people in different ways, and Canterbury Cricket is here to support our players however we can. “We fully respect their decision, and I am incredibly proud of how they conducted themselves throughout this process.”Leading the competition, Central Districts will be presented with the trophy next week at Hamilton’s Seddon Park. New Zealand Cricket (NZC) CEO David White said, “This isn’t about cricket; it’s about something much bigger and much more important than that. It’s about life, it’s about respect; it’s about family and community. Cricket and sport takes a back seat to personal welfare.” Meanwhile, the Super Rugby match between the Crusaders and the Highlanders in Dunedin has also been called off in the wake of the shootings.The third and final Test match between New Zealand and Bangladesh at the Hagley Oval in Christchurch, which was scheduled to be played on Saturday, was cancelled after multiple shootings in mosques in the city. The official Twitter handle of the New Zealand cricket team, @BLACKCAPS, had tweeted that a joint decision was made. “Our heartfelt condolences go out to the families and friends of those affected by the shocking situation in Christchurch. A joint decision between NZC and the Bangladesh Cricket Board has been made to cancel the Hagley Oval Test. Again both teams and support staff groups are safe,” they tweeted.The Bangladesh cricket team, who are touring New Zealand and will play the third and final Test at the Hagley Oval in Christchurch on Saturday, had a narrow escape. A video tweeted by Bangladesh’s ESPNCricinfo correspondent Mohammad Isam showed the Bangladesh cricketers Tamim Iqbal and Taijul Islam running back from Hagley Park back to the cricket ground. The incident took place around 1.45pm local time when the team had gone to pray when the incident took place.The Hagley Oval Test match was the last international match for both the teams before the start of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 which will be held in England. Tim Southee was appointed as the captain of the side after Kane Williamson was ruled out due to a pectoral injury. Will Young was going to make his debut in this Test match but it will now have to wait after the cancellation. For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on April 19, 2019 at 7:58 pm Contact Eric: email@example.com After defeating No. 8-seed Georgia Tech to advance to the second round of the ACC tournament, Syracuse’s run was halted. On Friday, the No. 9-seed Orange (13-12, 5-9 Atlantic Coast) were dominated by No. 1-seed North Carolina (27-1, 14-0) in a 4-0 rout.The match was moved indoors to the Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center in Durham, North Carolina due to weather. No. 56 Gabriela Knutson and Miranda Ramirez were quickly dispatched by No. 7 Jessie Aney and Alexa Graham, 6-1, after going down a break to start. Shortly after, a tornado warning suspended play for about 45 minutes.Once play resumed, the UNC pairing of Sara Daavettila and Alle Sanford finished off Sonya Treshcheva and Guzal Yusupova 6-2, with head coach Younes Limam once again opting to split up Treshcheva and Golubovskaya (who was paired with Dina Hegab). The Orange’s losing streak in doubles now extends to 10 games with the last coming on March 15. Masha Tritou, playing at fifth singles, was the first to fall. After starting tied 1-all, Tritou would not win another game against No. 118 Aney, losing 6-1, 6-0. No. 97 Ramirez went down two breaks early to No. 14 Daavettila and lost the first set 6-3. Ramirez struggled in the second set as Daavettila won 6-0.North Carolina clinched the match at first singles. No. 13 Knutson jumped out to a 4-2 lead up a break, but fell in the first set 6-4. As with Ramirez and Tritou, the second set did not feature a winning game for the Orange as Knutson also fell 6-0. The remainder of the matches went unfinished.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe No. 30 Orange now have to wait until April 29 to see if they will receive an at-large bid for the NCAA tournament.
Footy-ghana.com understands that Al-Ain striker Asamoah Gyan is set to be named the new captain of the senior national team, the Black Stars, by the Ghana Football Association.According to our sources, the appointment will be initially for the 2013 African Nations Cup qualifier against Malawi in Accra and the friendly match against Liberia three days later, but Gyan could be set to captain Ghana beyond both games.Footy-ghana.com investigations reveal that in attempting to convince Gyan to end his temporary international retirement from the Black Stars, the captaincy issue came up as a topic for discussion, although it is not clear whether that proved to be the reason for Gyan’s return.Gyan, who did not play in Ghana’s last game against China despite being on the bench, has scored 28 goals in 61 appearances for the Black Stars.
The state of Florida on Friday reached another daily record high of 3,822 new coronavirus cases confirmed by the state’s Department of Health. The recent spike of COVID-19 cases leads scientists at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and the University of Pennsylvania to believe Florida “has all the makings of the next large epicenter” of the virus in the United States.This COVID-19 outbreak evidently is impacting the sports world in Florida as well as the general public. According to The Athletic, three Tampa Bay Lightning players and at least one staff member tested positive for COVID-19 this week, leading to the closing of Amalie Arena to all non-essential staff until at least July 6. Likewise, the Toronto Blue Jays this week had to shut down their spring training facility in Dunedin, Fla., which is not far from Tampa, “after a player exhibited COVID-19 symptoms,” per ESPN. In nearby Clearwater, Fla., eight people in the Philadelphia Phillies organization also have tested positive.Multiple players working out at the Blue Jays facility said they had not yet been tested. If the player is not an isolated case, testing will ramp up. “We are being overly precautious with testing,” Blue Jays GM Ross Atkins told ESPN.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) June 19, 2020The NHL season was postponed in March when the coronavirus outbreak reached the U.S. The plan is for 24 teams to resume play on July 10, but only if conditions related to COVID-19 are manageable. The 2020 MLB season never had a chance to start. The league and the MLBPA are at odds over season length and players’ salary structure as the two sides try to agree on a condensed season format.The Lightning were in Phase 2 of the NHL’s return to play plan, which on June 8 opened training facilities for a maximum of six players at a time to voluntarily participate in workouts, when they had to shut down their facility.The NBA, which like the NHL had to suspend its season in March because of the pandemic, is planning to resume play in Orlando, Fla., starting in late July.