Stuff co.nz 26 July 2019Family First Comment: Well said, Anna! “My youngest is 3 months old – a wriggly, active little baby who never stays still long enough to get a clear photo. It is also still in my womb. Some would say I can’t really call this one a baby either. Not yet…. I’m the mother of two children.”#chooselifeOPINION: I am a mother of two. My eldest is 21 months old – a lively, determined little boy who loves to put on his own shoes and place his toys in an orderly row.I can’t really call him a baby. Not anymore. He is running, climbing, talking and growing so fast I can hardly keep up.My youngest is 3 months old – a wriggly, active little baby who never stays still long enough to get a clear photo. It is also still in my womb.Some would say I can’t really call this one a baby either. Not yet.When we had our 12-week scan recently, we got to see our baby on screen. It was amazing to see how fully formed it was. The sonographer checked its brain, heart, bladder and all four limbs. We could see it swallowing, sliding up and down, and see its legs crossed neatly at the ankles.It was undeniably human. And yet some would deny just that.Those around me have no problem calling it a baby and congratulating me – I’m excited about it, after all, and planning to keep it. If I miscarry, I have no doubt that those around me will grieve with my husband and I on the death of our child, and will affirm the tragic loss of life.What if I didn’t want it, though? Or what if I did, but didn’t feel like I could bring it to term, for whatever reason?READ MORE: https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/parenting/pregnancy/114474507/both-my-children-are-equally-human-yet-only-one-is-recognised-as-such
Liverpool City Council has deferred a decision on its next course of action in relation to the kick-off time of February’s Merseyside derby. They want the match to start earlier and although the council’s licensing committee support that stance it wants further investigation of its options to be made before it makes a definitive decision. “Merseyside Police do not support this fixture being played at 1730 on Saturday February 7 2015 and reiterate our position that this fixture should have a kick-off time of no later than 1.30pm on a weekend,” said the police in a report to a special meeting of the ground safety advisory committee. Everton informed the Premier League on December 9 of the police’s objections and the issue was discussed on Tuesday by the council’s licensing committee, who initially said it would “take legal advice on all appropriate options to enforce the position” in the event of no change of kick-off time being determined. They have deferred any course of action until they reconvene again in the new year. Merseyside Police’s report stressed there was no specific intelligence indicating any organised disorder is planned but stated the wider implications of a late kick-off meant they had to take action now. “I firmly believe that, the police, the clubs, and the city council have a responsibility to minimise the likelihood of those problems and their impact, not only on supporters within the footprint of the stadium, but also the wider community,” said the report. “An evening kick-off time at a weekend is undoubtedly the most challenging and gives us the least chance of meeting our responsibilities. “It is for this reason we, the police have specifically requested that this fixture should have a lunchtime kick-off.” The authority will take further legal advice and wait for a response from the Premier League after Merseyside Police initially raised objections to the 5.30pm start time on Saturday, February 7 at Goodison Park. After the fixture was moved in order to be televised by Sky Sports, the police elevated the match to a Category C fixture, with reference to there being a high risk of disorder. The Premier League has yet to respond but in the past it has previously allowed the scheduling of Swansea versus Cardiff to go ahead at a similar time. A statement from the Premier League said: “Everton FC has confirmed to the Premier League that they are able to host the match against Liverpool FC at 1730 on 7 February 2015 as scheduled.” Only if there are concerns over a safety certificate being issued could a change be viable, and as that is not a consideration and Everton have confirmed they are in a position to stage the game Press Association Sport understands there are no plans by the Premier League to alter the kick-off time. Press Association
By Amlan ChakrabortyMANCHESTER, England (Reuters) – India captain Virat Kohli swatted aside talks about a duel with Pakistan speedster Mohammad Amir and played down the hype around today’s World Cup blockbuster between the arch-rivals at Old Trafford.The nuclear-armed neighbours have gone to war three times since independence in the mid-20th century – and another conflict nearly erupted earlier this year, giving an even spicier-than-usual geopolitical backdrop to the contest.India have an unblemished record in 50-overs World Cup against their neighbours, having beaten Pakistan on each of the six encounters between the former champions.There has been plenty of hype surrounding today’s sold-out contest but Kohli refused to fuel it further.“I think the best way to approach something like this … it’s not going to last a lifetime for you, whether you do well or you don’t,” Kohli said.“Our tournament, whether we do well as a team … or we don’t, is not going to finish…. So I think the focus always has to be on the larger picture.”The match was sold out hours after tickets went on sale for the 26 000-capacity stadium and millions more will be watching at home.Kohli understands the fan sentiments but said the players have learned to cocoon themselves from the elevated expectations.“I can’t tell the fans to think in a particular manner. For us, it has to be a professional approach to the game,” said the 30-year-old.“We can’t get emotional or over-excited with any occasion. Obviously the player’s mindset is different from the fans’ and you can’t mix these two.“From fan point of view, looking at the atmosphere and frenzy around the game, I wouldn’t say it is easy to think like a player but for the players it’s very, very crucial to be absolutely professional.”PERSONAL CONTESTAn interesting sub-plot will be the showdown between Kohli, the world’s top-ranked ODI batsman, and Pakistan’s pace spearhead Amir who claimed five wickets against Australia in Taunton.“You may not believe me but I see only the red or white ball, not the bowler delivering it,” said Kohli.“You should always be wary of the strength of an impact bowler. You should also have the self-belief to do well against any bowler.“Also, the match won’t be decided by my runs or his wickets. There are 10 players on each side; they also have to play well. I’m not entering any personal contest or competition,” he added.“You got to play well regardless of the bowler. Even part-timers will get you out if you are not playing well. I keep my game simple.”Kohli acknowledged Pakistan have “a lot of talent” in their ranks but preferred to talk about his own team instead.India won their first two matches but split points with New Zealand after Thursday’s washout at Trent Bridge.The threat of rain looms large over today’s match as well and Kohli said weather would influence India’s combination.“The conditions and length of the game will obviously make us consider a few combinations that we could potentially go with in this match.”“We’ll have to be flexible …. If conditions are very different from what it was in our last game, we’ll have to think of different combinations, identifying areas to strengthen, especially in our bowling attack.”Stumper-batsman Rishabh Pant, who flew in as cover for injured opener Shikhar Dhawan, joined the rest of the Indian squad in their training session under an overcast sky at Old Trafford.
Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on April 19, 2019 at 7:58 pm Contact Eric: email@example.com After defeating No. 8-seed Georgia Tech to advance to the second round of the ACC tournament, Syracuse’s run was halted. On Friday, the No. 9-seed Orange (13-12, 5-9 Atlantic Coast) were dominated by No. 1-seed North Carolina (27-1, 14-0) in a 4-0 rout.The match was moved indoors to the Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center in Durham, North Carolina due to weather. No. 56 Gabriela Knutson and Miranda Ramirez were quickly dispatched by No. 7 Jessie Aney and Alexa Graham, 6-1, after going down a break to start. Shortly after, a tornado warning suspended play for about 45 minutes.Once play resumed, the UNC pairing of Sara Daavettila and Alle Sanford finished off Sonya Treshcheva and Guzal Yusupova 6-2, with head coach Younes Limam once again opting to split up Treshcheva and Golubovskaya (who was paired with Dina Hegab). The Orange’s losing streak in doubles now extends to 10 games with the last coming on March 15. Masha Tritou, playing at fifth singles, was the first to fall. After starting tied 1-all, Tritou would not win another game against No. 118 Aney, losing 6-1, 6-0. No. 97 Ramirez went down two breaks early to No. 14 Daavettila and lost the first set 6-3. Ramirez struggled in the second set as Daavettila won 6-0.North Carolina clinched the match at first singles. No. 13 Knutson jumped out to a 4-2 lead up a break, but fell in the first set 6-4. As with Ramirez and Tritou, the second set did not feature a winning game for the Orange as Knutson also fell 6-0. The remainder of the matches went unfinished.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe No. 30 Orange now have to wait until April 29 to see if they will receive an at-large bid for the NCAA tournament.