Developers, builders call for grant extension

first_imgAusbuild managing director Matthew Bell is just one of the developers keen to see the grant extended. Photographer: Liam Kidston.“In the next two weeks we will release a new stage at Kinross in the Redlands, a new estate at Griffin to the north of Brisbane and another at Pallara in the west,” he said.“Ausbuild would love to see the First Home Owners Grant extended. The wide-ranging benefits boost everything from employment to manufacturing, trades and business – while achieving the ultimate goal of helping Queenslanders into their own home sooner.” The $20,000 grant was extended in December last year for another six months – a key election promise.Treasury figures show that 2872 applications were received between January 1 and April 30.A total of 15,313 applications have been received since the grant was boosted to $20,000 on July 1, 2016.Deputy premier and treasurer Jackie Trad noted the grant had helped people get into their first home sooner, and its role in stimulating jobs and the economy, but gave no indication that it would be extended again. Over 50 per cent of the sales at Frasers Property Australia’s Brookhaven community have been to first home buyers.Developers are throwing everything they have got at first home buyers ahead of the looming reduction of the $20,000 grant.The Queensland First Home Owners’ Grant will reduce to $15,000 after June 30, with builders and developers offering everything from low or no deposit packages to free upgrades and reduced prices to entice buyers.Ausbuild joint managing director Matt Bell said the flurry of first home buyers trying to get into the property market before the grant reduction had prompted the company to bring forward the release of three new estates.He said they had seen a 25 per cent increase in sales to first home buyers in March and April. Developers, builders and industry stakeholders are calling on the Queensland Government and treasurer Jackie Trad to further extend the First Home Owners Grant.Industry stakeholders are now calling on the Queensland Government to further extend the $20,000 grant deadline, saying they had seen a spike in sales inquiries.Frasers Property Australia residential Queensland general manager Cameron Leggatt said over 50 per cent of the sales at their Brookhaven development had been to first home buyers, with lots at its Hillside Release 2 selling from $170,000.Developer Peet Limited will also unveil its first turnkey homes in Queensland this weekend, with prices from $399,000 – well below the $750,000 grant cut-off.Master Builders and the Real Estate Institute of Queensland are also calling for the grant to be extended.“The latest ABS Building Approvals data show approvals for detached houses are continuing to grow – up 7.6 per cent over the year,” Master Builders deputy CEO Paul Bidwell said. “Since the FHOG was increased from $15,000 to $20,000 in July 2016, investment in the property market has been in a strong, upwards trajectory. “Now is not the time to upset the apple cart by removing or reducing the First Home Owner Grant.” REIQ CEO Antonia Mercorella said the majority of grants had been taken up by young people in the southeast, noting a 25 per cent increase in the number of grants processed after it was lifted from $15,000 in 2016 to $20,000 in 2017. REIQ CEO Antonia Mercorella says the grant should be extended to existing homes, particularly in regional areas where supply is outstripping demand. She says forcing additional supply to the market is only slowing the recovery of regional markets.But she said the grant did not go far enough, and should be extended to existing homes to give all first home buyers the same advantage, especially in regional areas.THE OFFERS: WITH THE GRANT REDUCTION LOOMING, IT IS A FIRST HOME BUYERS MARKET. THESE ARE JUST SOME OF THE WAYS DEVELOPERS ARE TRYING TO ATTRACT SALES AHEAD OF THE JUNE 30 DEADLINELOW DEPOSIT A developer has fast-tracked the construction of a limited release of homes to meet growing demand from first home buyers.More from newsNew apartments released at idyllic retirement community Samford Grove Presented by Parks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus18 hours agoAVID Property Group general manager for Queensland Bruce Harper said the Tempo Living parkside homes within their Brentwood Forest development were under construction now, and could be secured with just a five per cent deposit. Just five two and three bedroom homes are currently part of the release, and start from $321,900. Three are still available.In total, there are 13 of 18 Tempo Homes up for grabs. AVID Property Group’s Brentwood Forest has announced a limited release of its popular Tempo Living homes, set to meet rising demand from first home buyers.“Prospective buyers can weigh up the small deposit required along with the home buyer’s grant and have an opportunity to live in an affordable, yet very high-quality home in a great community,” Mr Harper said. Aaron Wyatt, a new resident of Brentwood Forest and a first home buyer, purchased his Tempo Living home earlier this year, and moved in last month. He said he would not have been able to afford the home without the First Home Owner Grant, a Queensland Government initiative. “(The grant) has helped set up myself and two children – I couldn’t be happier with the finished product,” Mr Wyatt said.***DEVELOPER REBATEBuilder AVJennings is offering first home buyers the opportunity to save up to $40,000 on new townhomes at its Creekwood community at Meridan Plains and its Kersley Lane community at Kenmore. Kersley Lane by AVJenningsBoth communities feature brand new, ready to move in to townhomes. They are being sold with a $20,000 developer rebate until May 31 – which can then be coupled with the $20,000 First Home Owners’ Grant. Creekwood is near Caloundra and boasts a range of three bedroom townhomes from $395,900. Kersley Lane is just 9km from the Brisbane CBD and features three bedroom townhomes bordered by a conservation zone from $599,000. AVJennings State Manager Barry Young said the developer wanted to extend a helping hand to young buyers looking to step into the market. “We have seen an increase in the number of first time buyers at Creekwood and Kersley Lane because these projects are both close to city centres, employment nodes, schools, shops and transport,” he said. “Shaving $40,000 off a $500,000 loan (at four per cent principal and interest over 30 years) can reduce weekly payments by about $44 a week, so if buyers are thinking of purchasing a property, now is the time to act.”***TURNKEY HOMESNew “turn-key” homes will be launched at Flagstone today, with first home buyers the key target market.The Peet Complete four bedroom, two bathroom homes offer more than 200sq m of living space with all of the finishing touches included in the price – from mailboxes and washing lines to blinds, insulation, driveways, gardens, interior paint, heating and cooling. The display home will be launched today, with a further six completed homes on the market. Peet Limited will launch its turnkey homes at its Flagstone community today.Prices start from $390,000.Peet Limited CEO and managing director Brendan Gore said the turnkey homes were an important addition to the range of housing choices at Flagstone, which will be home to more than 12,000 families once completed. “Buyers who don’t want to wait for a new build can immediately see what their new home is going to look like,” he said. “They can move in with their bags and still have scope to personalise their space.” “The financial benefits are there too when you buy directly from the developer.”last_img read more

Free ‘pandesal’ for city residents

first_imgThe Uygongco Flour Mill volunteered to provideflour while the Carlos Uy Corp. would supply the other needed ingredients. It can also be complemented with butter,margarine, cheese, jam, peanut butter, chocolate spread, or other fillings likeeggs, sardines and meat. ILOILO City – For 15 days beginning Monday,April 6, residents here will be treated to free pandesal. Pandesal(also spelled pan de sal) is a popularyeast-raised bread roll in the Philippines. It is made of flour, eggs, yeast,sugar and salt. Three companies are joining forces to producethe popular bread so no one would go hungry while the city is under an enhancedcommunity quarantine to curb the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). “Angimportante makalampuwas kita sini nga dala naton tanan nga mga Ilonggo.When we get through this, hopefully, no one will be left behind,” said Treñas. Individual loaves are shaped by rolling thedough into long logs which are rolled in fine bread crumbs. These are thenportioned, allowed to rise, and baked. The enhanced community quarantine will end onApril 14 unless lifted earlier or extended.center_img Around 43,000 pieces of “Ilonggo pandesal” would be baked and distributed daily, according to Mayor Jerry Treñas. Angelina Bakeshop would bake the pandesal. The city government woulddistribute the bread. Treñas lauded the three home-grown companiesfor their “sense of bayanihan.”  Most bakeries bake pandesal in the morning for breakfast consumption, though some bakepandesal the whole day./PN “They are doing this for the love of IloiloCity,” he said. Pandesalis most commonly served hot and may be eaten as is, or dipped in coffee, hotchocolate or milk. last_img read more

Cricket News Mike Hesson parts way with Kings XI Punjab, speculation grows on India coach job

first_img New Delhi: Mike Hesson, who is best remembered for turning around New Zealand’s cricketing fortunes in six years, has parted ways with the Kings XI Punjab franchise. Hesson, who helped New Zealand reach the final of the ICC Cricket World Cup for the first time during the 2015 edition, was part of the Kings XI Punjab franchise for just one year. Although the reasons for his departure are unknown, there are strong indications that he is in the race for the post of head coach in both India and Pakistan. There are strong reports that Ravi Shastri could once again be at the helm after the end of the West Indies tour as he has strong backing from the Indian cricket team skipper Virat Kohli. Other reports in New Zealand reported that Hesson has applied for the top job in both India and Pakistan. Former Australian all-rounder Tom Moody is one of the big international names in a long list of applications the BCCI has received for the chief coach’s job in India.In a statement on his Twitter handle, Hesson said, “I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Kings XI franchise and wish to thank them for the season I had in charge. Whilst disappointed not to be able to build on the work we did this year, I’m sure success isn’t too far away for them. I wish them all the best for the future,” Hesson said. India’s coach will be chosen by a three-member Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC) headed by the legendary Kapil Dev, ex-coach Anshuman Gaekwad and former India women’s captain Shantha Rangaswamy. The current support staff comprising incumbent head coach Ravi Shastri, bowling coach Bharat Arun, batting coach Sanjay Bangar and fielding coach R Sridhar were given a 45-day extension following the World Cup, covering the West Indies tour from August 3 to September 3. The BCCI advertised the posts after India’s World Cup semifinal defeat to New Zealand. highlights India lost in the semi-final of 2019 World Cup to New Zealand.Ravi Shastri has gotten an extension as coach until the end of West Indies tour.Mike Hesson was at the helm of Kings XI Punjab for just one year. For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.last_img read more

Henry still waiting for first win as Monaco held at Brugge

first_img0Shares0000Henry is still waiting for his first win as a head coach after two games in charge at Monaco © AFP / Thomas SAMSONBRUGES, Belgium, Oct 24 – An injury-hit Monaco failed to give Thierry Henry his first win as a head coach with a 1-1 Champions League draw at Club Brugge on Wednesday.Moussa Sylla raised hopes of Monaco ending an 11-match winless streak by opening the scoring just after the half-hour mark at the Jan Breydel Stadium, but Wesley struck for the Belgian champions to secure a point. “We are a little less negative than at Strasbourg,” said Henry, after a defeat by Strasbourg in his coaching bow on Saturday. “But a draw is a draw, it’s not a victory.”The principality club have now also gone 11 Champions League games without a victory since their thrilling 6-3 aggregate triumph over Borussia Dortmund in the 2016-17 quarter-finals.Henry, who took over from the sacked Leonardo Jardim earlier this month, saw his young side put in a spirited display despite being depleted by a raft of injuries, although the result leaves both sides facing elimination from Group A.“It’s not easy to get points away from home, but we’re not going to get carried away,” added the 41-year-old former Arsenal star.“They had more of the ball than we did but we were pretty solid.”Borussia Dortmund and Atletico Madrid lead the way, five points clear of Monaco and Brugge, ahead of their meeting at Signal Iduna Park later on Wednesday.“We deserved to win, we were the better team on the pitch and we created a lot of opportunities,” bemoaned Brugge coach Ivan Leko.“On one hand I’m pleased with what my players showed, on the other I’m disappointed not to win.”Monaco will now hope it is a case of third time lucky under Henry when they host Dijon on Saturday, looking to drag themselves out of the Ligue 1 relegation zone.Henry was forced to hand a full debut to 20-year-old fourth-choice goalkeeper Loic Badiashile in West Flanders, with Danijel Subasic and Diego Benaglio out injured and Seydou Sy, who made a dreadful error at Strasbourg, not registered to play in the Champions League.– Jovetic joins injury list –Nothing was going right for Monaco’s new coach, as after Radamel Falcao had hobbled off injured on Saturday, Henry was left without a senior striker when Stevan Jovetic had to be replaced by teenager Sofiane Diop in only the 12th minute.But his fellow 18-year-old Sylla put the visitors ahead in the 32nd minute, darting onto Aleksandr Golovin’s through ball and sliding home his maiden Champions League goal.Sylla should have doubled the lead before half-time as he raced clear of home goalkeeper Karlo Letica, only to roll the ball wide of an empty net.He was made to pay just seconds later, as Brazilian forward Wesley saw his header take a big deflection off Monaco centre-back Kamil Glik and spin past the despairing dive of Badiashile.Brugge continued to create chances in the second half, but after a flowing move which sliced Monaco open, captain Ruud Vormer hacked his strike well over the crossbar.After a nervous moment when Badiashile lost possession outside his own area, Monaco went straight up the other end and nearly retook the lead when Golovin’s drive was beaten away by Letica.Henry, who was assistant coach to Roberto Martinez for Belgium during their run to the World Cup semi-finals, replaced substitute Diop with midfielder Jean-Eudes Aholou in an attempt to seal a point, but they needed a massive slice of luck to escape with a draw.With Martinez watching on in the stands, 18-year-old Belgian Lois Openda wasted a glorious opportunity deep into added time, heading wide from barely two yards out with an open goal to aim at.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more