Topofthegame ruled out for the season | Racing News

first_img– Advertisement – “I’ve scratched him from the Betfair (Chase) and Ladbrokes Trophy as I’ve just had to draw stumps for the season with him,” said Nicholls on Monday.“The warning lights have been flashing for the last couple of weeks. I was not happy with him last week and we had the vet scan him today and although there is no tear he just needs more time to recover, so we will leave him for the rest of the season and get him back for next season.“He had the tendon injury last season and he is still not strong enough to do full training. If we had carried on he would have broken down, but as we have stopped there is a good chance we will get him back for next season.- Advertisement – Paul Nicholls has been forced to rule his classy chaser Topofthegame out for another season.Winner of the RSA Insurance Novices’ Chase at Cheltenham in 2019, Nicholls had high hopes he would develop into a Gold Cup contender last season.- Advertisement – “We had done everything can, but when the warning lights come on you simply have to stop and after having him scanned this morning it confirmed what myself and Clifford (Baker) thought.”The Betfair ambassador added: “It’s part and parcel of the game and he was always going to be difficult as he is so fragile, but hopefully we will get him back for another day. We have lots of other horses for these races, but I’m gutted for his owners.” However, as his preparation for last year’s Ladbrokes Trophy was stepping up a gear he was halted by a leg injury.While the problem was nothing too serious, Nicholls felt a year on the sidelines would give him the best chance of returning this season – with the Ladbrokes Trophy again his aim – in tip-top shape.Unfortunately, with the Newbury feature just weeks away, the eight-year-old has been ruled out again.- Advertisement –last_img read more

Developers, builders call for grant extension

first_imgAusbuild managing director Matthew Bell is just one of the developers keen to see the grant extended. Photographer: Liam Kidston.“In the next two weeks we will release a new stage at Kinross in the Redlands, a new estate at Griffin to the north of Brisbane and another at Pallara in the west,” he said.“Ausbuild would love to see the First Home Owners Grant extended. The wide-ranging benefits boost everything from employment to manufacturing, trades and business – while achieving the ultimate goal of helping Queenslanders into their own home sooner.” The $20,000 grant was extended in December last year for another six months – a key election promise.Treasury figures show that 2872 applications were received between January 1 and April 30.A total of 15,313 applications have been received since the grant was boosted to $20,000 on July 1, 2016.Deputy premier and treasurer Jackie Trad noted the grant had helped people get into their first home sooner, and its role in stimulating jobs and the economy, but gave no indication that it would be extended again. Over 50 per cent of the sales at Frasers Property Australia’s Brookhaven community have been to first home buyers.Developers are throwing everything they have got at first home buyers ahead of the looming reduction of the $20,000 grant.The Queensland First Home Owners’ Grant will reduce to $15,000 after June 30, with builders and developers offering everything from low or no deposit packages to free upgrades and reduced prices to entice buyers.Ausbuild joint managing director Matt Bell said the flurry of first home buyers trying to get into the property market before the grant reduction had prompted the company to bring forward the release of three new estates.He said they had seen a 25 per cent increase in sales to first home buyers in March and April. Developers, builders and industry stakeholders are calling on the Queensland Government and treasurer Jackie Trad to further extend the First Home Owners Grant.Industry stakeholders are now calling on the Queensland Government to further extend the $20,000 grant deadline, saying they had seen a spike in sales inquiries.Frasers Property Australia residential Queensland general manager Cameron Leggatt said over 50 per cent of the sales at their Brookhaven development had been to first home buyers, with lots at its Hillside Release 2 selling from $170,000.Developer Peet Limited will also unveil its first turnkey homes in Queensland this weekend, with prices from $399,000 – well below the $750,000 grant cut-off.Master Builders and the Real Estate Institute of Queensland are also calling for the grant to be extended.“The latest ABS Building Approvals data show approvals for detached houses are continuing to grow – up 7.6 per cent over the year,” Master Builders deputy CEO Paul Bidwell said. “Since the FHOG was increased from $15,000 to $20,000 in July 2016, investment in the property market has been in a strong, upwards trajectory. “Now is not the time to upset the apple cart by removing or reducing the First Home Owner Grant.” REIQ CEO Antonia Mercorella said the majority of grants had been taken up by young people in the southeast, noting a 25 per cent increase in the number of grants processed after it was lifted from $15,000 in 2016 to $20,000 in 2017. REIQ CEO Antonia Mercorella says the grant should be extended to existing homes, particularly in regional areas where supply is outstripping demand. She says forcing additional supply to the market is only slowing the recovery of regional markets.But she said the grant did not go far enough, and should be extended to existing homes to give all first home buyers the same advantage, especially in regional areas.THE OFFERS: WITH THE GRANT REDUCTION LOOMING, IT IS A FIRST HOME BUYERS MARKET. THESE ARE JUST SOME OF THE WAYS DEVELOPERS ARE TRYING TO ATTRACT SALES AHEAD OF THE JUNE 30 DEADLINELOW DEPOSIT A developer has fast-tracked the construction of a limited release of homes to meet growing demand from first home buyers.More from newsNew apartments released at idyllic retirement community Samford Grove Presented by Parks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus18 hours agoAVID Property Group general manager for Queensland Bruce Harper said the Tempo Living parkside homes within their Brentwood Forest development were under construction now, and could be secured with just a five per cent deposit. Just five two and three bedroom homes are currently part of the release, and start from $321,900. Three are still available.In total, there are 13 of 18 Tempo Homes up for grabs. AVID Property Group’s Brentwood Forest has announced a limited release of its popular Tempo Living homes, set to meet rising demand from first home buyers.“Prospective buyers can weigh up the small deposit required along with the home buyer’s grant and have an opportunity to live in an affordable, yet very high-quality home in a great community,” Mr Harper said. Aaron Wyatt, a new resident of Brentwood Forest and a first home buyer, purchased his Tempo Living home earlier this year, and moved in last month. He said he would not have been able to afford the home without the First Home Owner Grant, a Queensland Government initiative. “(The grant) has helped set up myself and two children – I couldn’t be happier with the finished product,” Mr Wyatt said.***DEVELOPER REBATEBuilder AVJennings is offering first home buyers the opportunity to save up to $40,000 on new townhomes at its Creekwood community at Meridan Plains and its Kersley Lane community at Kenmore. Kersley Lane by AVJenningsBoth communities feature brand new, ready to move in to townhomes. They are being sold with a $20,000 developer rebate until May 31 – which can then be coupled with the $20,000 First Home Owners’ Grant. Creekwood is near Caloundra and boasts a range of three bedroom townhomes from $395,900. Kersley Lane is just 9km from the Brisbane CBD and features three bedroom townhomes bordered by a conservation zone from $599,000. AVJennings State Manager Barry Young said the developer wanted to extend a helping hand to young buyers looking to step into the market. “We have seen an increase in the number of first time buyers at Creekwood and Kersley Lane because these projects are both close to city centres, employment nodes, schools, shops and transport,” he said. “Shaving $40,000 off a $500,000 loan (at four per cent principal and interest over 30 years) can reduce weekly payments by about $44 a week, so if buyers are thinking of purchasing a property, now is the time to act.”***TURNKEY HOMESNew “turn-key” homes will be launched at Flagstone today, with first home buyers the key target market.The Peet Complete four bedroom, two bathroom homes offer more than 200sq m of living space with all of the finishing touches included in the price – from mailboxes and washing lines to blinds, insulation, driveways, gardens, interior paint, heating and cooling. The display home will be launched today, with a further six completed homes on the market. Peet Limited will launch its turnkey homes at its Flagstone community today.Prices start from $390,000.Peet Limited CEO and managing director Brendan Gore said the turnkey homes were an important addition to the range of housing choices at Flagstone, which will be home to more than 12,000 families once completed. “Buyers who don’t want to wait for a new build can immediately see what their new home is going to look like,” he said. “They can move in with their bags and still have scope to personalise their space.” “The financial benefits are there too when you buy directly from the developer.”last_img read more

Cricket News The Fourth Umpire During New Zealand Vs England Series Was A Former Porn Star

first_imgNew Delhi: The New Zealand Vs England Twenty20 International series was an absolute classic, with England winning the deciding match at Eden Park Auckland by a super over to clinch the series 3-2. It was a series that saw plenty of twists and turns, with England winning the first match before New Zealand bounced back with wins in Wellington and Nelson. The Nelson victory gave New Zealand a 2-1 series lead before Dawid Malan’s century and a record stand of 182 with Eoin Morgan helped England level the game in style in Napier.It was during the game at the Saxton Oval where there was a revelation which made the rounds. It all involved around the fourth umpire, whose role requires him to perform duties like bringing on the new ball, carrying drinks on to the field for the umpires, checking the batteries in the light meter and observing the pitch during the lunch and tea intervals to make sure there is no interference.During the Nelson Twenty20 International match, the fourth umpire was Garth Stirrat and according to a report in The Sun, Stirrat is a former porn star. The Sun reported that Stirrat was part of a graphic spread in a magazine. It also reported that the name he gave during filming is ‘Steve Parnell’. The New Zealand players were aware and told their opponents as well. Also Read | New Zealand And England – Mastering The Art Of A Thriller And Changing Cricket AgainStirrat had to face a tough time when the revelation came out. He had been fired as the Chief Executive of the New Zealand Professional Golfers’ Association 10 years ago when his past came out in the open. However, the tolerance and openness showed by both teams and the match officials during the series against Stirrat shows the changing times in the world of sport which has been for the better.  For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.last_img read more

Holder, Fraser bowl India Aout for 201 on opening day

first_imgTAROUBA, Trinidad, (CMC) – Wriddhiman Saha and Hanuma Vihari struck half-centuries but fast bowler Chemar Holder grabbed three late wickets to limit India A on the opening day of the final four-day “Test”.Sent in at the Brian Lara Stadium on Tuesday, the visitors were dismissed for 201, with Saha top-scoring with 62 and captain Vihari chipping in with 55.Opener Mayank Agarwal got a start with 33 and all-rounder Shivam Dube hit 26 but India A fell away at the end, losing their last five wickets for just 12 runs in the space of 41 balls.Holder, who took three of those five wickets, ended with three for 47 while off-spinner Akim Fraser did the early damage for the hosts in taking three for 53.Leg-spinner Yannic Cariah supported with two for 45.West Indies A then stumbled to the close on 23 for one, losing Montcin Hodge for 15 to the day’s final’s delivery, bowled missing an ambitious drive at off-spinner Krishnappa Gowtham.Fraser had given West Indies A an excellent start when he took two wickets in the first session to reduce India A to 47 for three at lunch, before taking another almost immediately following the resumption.Fast bowler Miguel Cummins bowled Abhimanyu Esawaran without scoring in the morning’s seventh over before Agarwal and Priyank Panchal (11) put on 38 for the second wicket to steady the innings.However, Fraser struck twice in successive deliveries just before lunch when he had Agarwal taken at short leg by Jeremy Solozano and followed up by trapping Shubman Gill in front first ball.After lunch, he then accounted for Panchal without adding, caught down the leg side by wicketkeeper Jahmar Hamilton.Vihari, unbeaten on two at lunch, anchored two half-century stands to prop up the innings. He first put on 86 for the fifth with Saha before adding a further 55 for the sixth with Dube.All told, he faced 139 balls in just short of 3-¼ hours and counted five fours while Saha’s knock was more cavalier, coming from just 66 balls and including nine fours and a six.Saha eventually holed out to wide mid on off Cariah and after tea, reached at 155 for five, Dube added a further 13 before miscuing a heave at the same bowler and falling to a skyer at long off.Vihari was eighth out, dragging on a drive at Holder, to be one of four wickets to fall for just two runs.NDIA A 1st InningsA Esawaran b Cummins 0M Agarwal c Solozano b Fraser 33P Panchal c wkp Hamilton b Fraser 11S Gill lbw b Fraser 0*H Vihari b Holder 55+W Saha c Holder b Cariah 62S Dube c Shepherd b Cariah 26K Gowtham lbw b Holder 0S Nadeem c wkp Hamilton b Reifer 6U Yadav c Ambris b Holder 0Avesh Khan not out 4Extras (lb2, w1, nb1) 4TOTAL (all out, 67.5 overs) 201Fall of wickets: 1-7, 2-45, 3-45, 4-48, 5-134, 6-189, 7-190, 8-191, 9-191, 10-201.Bowling: Cummins 12-5-22-1, Holder 16-7-47-3, Reifer 11.5-1-32-1, Fraser 15-2-53-3, Cariah 13-3-45-2.WEST INDIES A 1st InningsM Hodge b Gowtham 15J Solozano not out 7A Fraser not out 0Extras (lb1) 1TOTAL (1 wkt, 15 overs) 23Fall of wicket: 1-23.To bat: J Blackwood, Y Cariah, S Ambris, B King, *+J Hamilton, R Reifer, C Holder, M Cummins.Bowling: Yadav 5-2-11-0, Avesh Khan 3-2-1-0, Gowtham 4-2-6-1, Nadeem 3-1-4-0.Position: West Indies A trail by 178 runs with nine wickets remaining.last_img read more

J.O.Adeyemi-Bero Tennis Enters S’final Stage

first_imgAlso victorious was Sunday Chinedu who survived an early scare from hard fighting Emmanuel Ameh before dropping him 2-6,6-2, 10-3 in what could best be described as the longest match of the tournament so far.The victory now brings Sunday Chinedu face to face with Musa Emmanuel in one of the two Semi-final matches. Musa cruised ahead as Happy Agbi 3-2 retired yesterday.The second semi-finals will see top seed, Silas Isaac battling it out with Michael Nekepeme.In the women singles’ category, top seed, Neme Yakubu will be up against Bright Emmanuel in the first semi-finals that will pave way for the second semis between tournament Number 2 seed, Sarah Musa and Mariam Jimoh who sent Justina Emmanuel packing in two straight sets 4-2, 4-1 to pick her semi-final ticket.All the semi-final matches would be played today ahead of Saturday’s grand finale which will hold at the Centre Court of the National Stadium, Surulere, Lagos.Meanwhile, The authorities of the Lagos State Tennis Association have commended the Adeyemi-Bero family for the continuous sponsorship of the championship which is in it’s 4th edition.Secretary General of the Lagos State Tennis Association, Hajjia Zainab Adegesin who made the commendation after yesterday’s quarter-final games, reasoned that the tournament will not only help in developing tennis from the grassroots but will also assist in discovering feature tennis talents in the state.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram It was indeed the best of Junior tennis thursday as top seed of the boys singles category of the on-going 4th Chief Joseph Omotosho Adeyemi-Bero U-14 boys and Girls Junior Tennis Tournament, Silas Isaac, stroked his way into the semi-finals.He defeated Bode Lawal in two straight sets 6-2, 6-1 in one of the quarter-final matches decided at the Centre Court of the National Stadium Surulere, Lagos.Benjamin Jeremiah lost 2-6, 5-7 to Michael Nekepeme in another quarter-final encounter decided at same Court one.last_img read more

Deontay Wilder vs. Dominic Breazeale a ‘joke fight’, insists Dillian Whyte

first_imgThe 30-year-old has reeled off nine successive wins since losing to rival Anthony Joshua in December 2015, with that stoppage defeat the only blemish on his professional record.”Wilder should have fought me a year ago. We’ve offered him $15 million, and he’s going to make $1m or $2m fighting Breazeale. Why?” Whyte said. “I’m your No. 1 challenger, I’m a bigger name than Breazeale, I bring more to the table and I’m going repay you $15 million.”He just doesn’t want the fight. For some reason there’s something about me he sees that he doesn’t like – whether that the body punches, toughness or what, I don’t know.” Join DAZN to watch GGG in June and 100+ fight nights a yearWhyte had previously been set to take on Breazeale to decide who would become the mandatory challenger for the belt, only for the latter to then suddenly be elevated to the position.Now left in limbo, the Jamaica-born fighter has questioned why he has been overlooked by the WBC.”It’s a joke fight, it’s all politics,” Whyte told talkSPORT. “They’ve had no choice, they’ve been put in this position.”He shouldn’t be mandatory. I’ve been the number one for two years, I’ve won every single title outside the world title the WBC have to offer.”I don’t understand, how come he’s fighting Wilder?”Whyte also criticized Wilder for turning down a lucrative offer for them to face each other, believing his unbeaten rival is simply not keen to come up against him. Dillian Whyte has hit out at the WBC’s decision to order Deontay Wilder to defend his title against Dominic Breazeale, branding the fight a “joke.”The governing body issued a statement on Wednesday announcing heavyweight champion Wilder will face fellow American Breazeale next after failing to agree a deal for a rematch against Tyson Fury.last_img read more