NewsLocal NewsSinn Féin Vice-President to speak at CommemorationBy admin – January 2, 2012 551 Advertisement Email Twitter Linkedin THE annual Sean Sabhat Commemoration will take place in Limerick on Sunday 8th January. Sinn Féin Vice-President, Mary Lou McDonald TD, will be the main speaker this year.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The commemoration will commence at 2.45pm at Bedford Row with a march to Sabhat’s grave at the Republican Plot, Mount St. Laurence Cemetery. The McSwiney/ McCurtain Memorial Band from Cork and the Carrick-on-Suir Republican Flute Band from Co. Tipperary will also take part in the commemoration. Print Previous articleBody recovered from riverNext articleWogan was target for bomb admin WhatsApp Facebook
Myriam Borzee/iStockBy MORGAN WINSOR, ABC News(NEW YORK) — A pandemic of the novel coronavirus has now killed more than 504,000 people worldwide.Over 10.2 million people across the globe have been diagnosed with COVID-19, the disease caused by the new respiratory virus, according to data compiled by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins University. The actual numbers are believed to be much higher due to testing shortages, many unreported cases and suspicions that some governments are hiding the scope of their nations’ outbreaks. Since the first cases were detected in China in December, the United States has become the worst-affected country, with more than 2.5 million diagnosed cases and at least 126,141 deaths. Here’s how the news is developing Tuesday. All times Eastern:8:06 a.m.: Over 100 cases linked to a single bar in MichiganAt least 107 new cases of COVID-19 have been linked to a bar in East Lansing, Michigan, officials said. The Ingham County Health Department is asking anyone who went to Harper’s Restaurant & Brew Pub between June 12 and June 20 to quarantine themselves for 14 days since their visit and watch for symptoms. The infected individuals are between the ages of 16 and 28, and none have been hospitalized so far. Most of the cases have had mild symptoms, with 28 people having no symptoms at all. At least 40% are Michigan State University students or recent graduates, officials said. Just 12 of the cases are from secondary transmission, meaning people who were in contact with a primary case but did not go to the bar themselves, officials said. In a statement posted to Facebook last week, Harper’s Restaurant & Brew Pub announced that it has decided to close temporarily to implement a program to eliminate lines and to install air purifying technology. The bar said it had reopened at 50% capacity on June 8, according to the governor’s executive order. “We have experienced long lines on the public sidewalk in front of our building,” the business wrote in the June 22 post. “We have attempted to instruct customers waiting in line to wear face coverings and practice social distancing through signage on the public sidewalk and with a banner on our railing. Our oversight of the line on our stairs has been successful, but trying to get customers to follow our recommendations on the public sidewalk has been challenging.” The growing cluster of cases has prompted Ingham County officials to issue an emergency order reducing restaurant capacity to 50% or no more than 75 people, whichever is less. Restaurant capacity was already restricted to 50% of normal seating, but there was no limitation on the number of patrons. “Large crowds are difficult to control,” Ingham County health officer Linda Vail said in a statement Monday night. “By allowing no more than 75 people, restaurants and bars will be better able to enforce social distancing and the use of masks and face coverings. I strongly encourage all bars and restaurants to strictly enforce safety measures and to do all they can to help stop the spread of coronavirus in our community.” 7:25 a.m.: ‘The minute we opened, it was like COVID didn’t exist,’ Miami mayor saysSince Miami began reopening in late May, Mayor Francis Suarez said he’s seen people acting as though the coronavirus pandemic never happened. “The minute that we opened, it was like COVID didn’t exist and people just forgot and, in some cases, are still forgetting,” Suarez told ABC News chief anchor George Stephanopoulos in an interview Tuesday on Good Morning America.“You know, the city of Miami was actually the last city in the entire state of Florida to open,” he added. “I got criticized at the time for taking too long, some said.”Miami is now the hardest hit city in Florida’s novel coronavirus outbreak as cases spike across the Sunshine State. The mayor said his office is doing everything they can to control the spread of the virus. “People are congregating, they’re having a good time, they’re partying and they’re spreading the disease incredibly efficiently, and it’s starting to stress our hospital system,” Suarez said. Miami and a handful of other cities in Miami-Dade County have now made it mandatory for people to wear face masks in public at all times, which Suarez called “a no-brainer.” Miami has also implemented fines for those who don’t follow the rule. Meanwhile, businesses that are found not following coronavirus protocols will be shut down for 10 days on the first occurrence, 15 days on the second occurrence and 30 days on the third occurrence. “They’re upset that we’re implementing some of these rules, but we’re trying to do that in a surgical way so that we don’t have to undo some of the openings that we’ve done,” Suarez said. “We’re doing it also so that we don’t have to reimplement a stay-at-home order, which was extremely effective in March and early April but it also crippled our economy.”6:28 a.m.: Arizona hospitals are on the brinkHospitals in Arizona are reaching capacity amid a surge in coronavirus cases, according an internal memo from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.The memo, obtained by ABC News, states that both Flagstaff Medical Center and Little Colorado Medical Center have had zero “medical-surge availability” since June 24. Patients are being directed to hospitals in Yavapai and Maricopa counties, according to the memo.Coronavirus-related hospitalizations across Arizona have nearly doubled in the past two weeks, while intensive care units are at 88% capacity.The number of COVID-19 cases in Arizona has jumped from 13,000 on May 15 to 74,500 on Monday, while the statewide death toll has nearly doubled in the last six weeks. More than 1,500 people in the Grand Canyon State have died from COVID-19.5:24 a.m.: Australia to reimpose lockdown on Melbourne suburbsAustralian officials will reimpose lockdown restrictions on a number of suburbs around Melbourne, as the country’s second-largest city grapples with a spike in coronavirus infections.Beginning at 11:59 p.m. local time on July 1, a stay-at-home order will take effect in 10 postal codes in the Melbourne area that have been identified as community transmission hotspots for the novel coronavirus. The lockdown will remain in place at least until July 29, according to a statement Tuesday from Daniel Andrews, premier of the southeastern Australian state of Victoria.“I know this will be terribly disruptive and difficult but if everyone sticks to the rules and we see transmission come down, then in four weeks the restrictions can lift,” Andrews said.Residents of the affected postal codes will only be allowed to leave their homes to shop for food and supplies, to seek and provide care, to exercise, and to study or go to work — if they can’t do so from home. Businesses and facilities in those areas that have recently reopened, including beauty salons, gyms, libraries and swimming pools, will once again be restricted. Cafes and restaurants will again only be open for take-away and delivery service, Andrews said.“Very clearly, this is not where we wanted to be,” he added. “I understand people are tired. We’re all frustrated. We all just want things to go back to how they once were. And the sooner we all do the right thing, the sooner we can beat this.”Just under 8,000 people in Australia have been diagnosed with COVID-19 and at least 104 of them have died, according to a count kept by Johns Hopkins University.4:42 a.m.: WHO to send team to China to investigate COVID-19 originThe World Health Organization is sending a team to China to investigate the origins of the novel coronavirus.“We can fight the virus better when we know everything about the virus, including how it started,” WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said during Monday’s press briefing in Geneva.The very first cases of COVID-19 were identified in the Chinese city of Wuhan last December, months before the rapidly spreading outbreak was declared a pandemic.Tedros said the investigative team will travel there next week.“We hope that will lead into understanding how the virus started and what we can do for the future to prepare,” he added.3:32 a.m.: US reports more than 41,500 new casesMore than 41,500 new cases of COVID-19 were identified in the United States on Monday, according to a count kept by Johns Hopkins University.The latest daily caseload is up from the previous day, but still lower than the country’s record high of more than 45,000 new cases identified last Friday.The national total currently stands at 2,590,582 diagnosed cases with at least 126,141 deaths.The cases include people from all 50 U.S. states, Washington, D.C., and other U.S. territories as well as repatriated citizens.By May 20, all states had begun lifting stay-at-home orders and other restrictions put in place to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus. The day-to-day increase in cases then hovered around 20,000 for a couple of weeks before shooting back up to over 30,000 and then crossing 40,000 last week.Nearly half of all 50 states have seen a rise in infections in recent weeks, with some — such as Florida, South Carolina and Georgia — reporting daily records. Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
Tweet Share Sharing is caring! LocalNews Chinese Railway 17th Bureau Group donates $5000.00 to DABA by: – July 5, 2011 50 Views no discussions Share Share Mr. Jing Hao presenting to Mr. Dave Baron at this morning’s presentation.The Chinese Railway 17th Bureau Group Corporation through its Project Manager at a press conference this morning, has donated EC $5000.00 to the Dominica Amateur Basketball Association.The Project Manager Mr. Jing Hao through his translator Ms. Rhonda Linton said, although he was not familiar with the game until he arrived here in Dominica and saw several young people engaged in the activity, he has realized that basketball is very important to the Dominican people and grew to like the sport.He also indicated how difficult it is to raise funds and they are pleased to make this donation to the association, hoping that it will assist them in working towards being the number one team in the Caribbean and by extension the World.Mr. Hao also hopes that the general public will not only view the company as a construction one but to also view them as a company who is interested in sports and assisting the young people.Members of the head table at this morning’s presentation; Ms. Rhonda Linton, Mr. Jing Hao, Mr. Mickey Joseph and Mr. Dave BaronMeantime President of the DABA Dave Baron expressed gratitude to the Company for their generous donation which is very timely as they are now preparing to host the Windward Island Basketball Championship which will be in September of this year.The money will therefore be utilized for uniforms and equipments for this tournament.Mr. Baron also indicated that although the Company may not be able to provide further moneytary contributions they could also consider assiting the association in repairing some of the hardcourts.He also urged the general public to continue to support the association as they help create avenues for our young people to excel.Dominica Vibes News