Championship: Leeds 0-0 Middlesbrough – Boro miss chance to go top

first_img1 Elland Road protest Middlesbrough missed the opportunity to return to the top of the Championship after a goalless draw with Leeds United at Elland Road.Jordan Rhodes thought he had given his new side the lead in the first half but his header was ruled out for the ball going out of play.Leeds’ best chance came later in the second period but they were denied by a fantastic Dimi Konstantopoulous stop.Ben Gibson saw red in the final minute of normal time for a second yellow card with the result meaning Hull remain top by a single point.There was a protest against owner Massimo Cellino as fans projected messages onto the side on Elland Road calling for the Italian to leave then club.However, it did not appear to effect the players as Boro started poorly when first Mirco Antenucci and then Stuart Dallas went close inside the opening six minutes for the hosts.Middlesbrough came back into it when Gaston Ramirez nearly set up Rhodes but Marco Silvestri denied the Scot a goal on his first start for the club.And Rhodes thought he had found the net after 20 minutes but Richie de Laet was judged to have taken the ball out of play as he crossed for the former Blackburn Rovers star.After the break, both sides turned far more defensive with every cross powerfully headed away by both sides.Boro finally had a clear chance at goal but Christian Stuani fired his volley into the groundand harmlessly over the post.Stuani had another chance moment later after good work from Rhodes, but the Uruguayan nodded the ball over the bar.Leeds nearly snatched the lead with less than 20 minutes left but Souleymane Doukara’s header was magnificently palmed away by Konstantopoulous to keep the scores level.Gibson saw red in the 88th minute for a second bookable offence but Middlesbrough managed to hang on with Leeds’ protest against owner Cellino dominating proceedings.last_img read more

Floyd Mayweather Says He Wants to Buy LA Clippers

Floyd Mayweather Jr., the boxing megamillionaire who has had his own issues with controversial race-related comments, said he has an interest in purchasing the Los Angeles Clippers, which likely will be up for sale by banned owner Donald Sterling after NBA owners vote to force him to sell, as suggested by the league’s commissioner.Mayweather, a regular at Clippers and Lakers games in Los Angeles, met with a group of reporters in a VIP lounge at the MGM Grand, where he will face fellow welterweight titleholder Marcos Maidana in a unification fight in a Showtime network pay-per-view main event on Saturday night.Insisting he was serious, Mayweather said he spoke with his adviser, Al Haymon, about teaming with Mayweather Promotions chief executive Leonard Ellerbe, Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Richard Schaefer and possibly others to make a bid for the Clippers.“I called Al about that to see if me, Leonard and Al, and hopefully Richard and a couple of other guys, a couple other of my billionaire guys, we can come together and see what we can come up with,” Mayweather said. “Hopefully, we can do it, and it’s not just talk.“With me, I can’t come in talking about Mayweather only gonna get 3 percent, 4 percent. I got to get a solid percentage. Do we want to buy the Clippers? Yes, we do. We are very, very interested in buying the Clippers. We’ll keep the Clippers right where they’re at. When I’m not boxing, I’m at the games all the time. We do want to buy the Clippers. . ..  and we can afford the Clippers.”Mayweather, an avid sports gambler in Las Vegas, where he lives, added, “Once I get ownership in the Clippers I can no longer bet, so I have to stop that completely.”Mayweather, whose $73.5 million in minimum purses for his two fights in 2013 made him the world’s highest-paid athlete, said his interactions with Sterling had been positive.“Donald Sterling, he’s been getting a lot of negative press and my thing is this–I don’t have nothing negative to say about this guy,” Mayweather said. “He’s always treated me with the utmost respect. He has always invited me to games, always. Has always told me, ‘Floyd, I want you to sit right next to me and my wife.’ I don’t know about the [alleged] mistress. But I’m talking about him and the wife.”Schaefer, who has been promoting his fights since 2007, said: “When (Mayweather) tells you guys he’s interested in buying the Clippers, he’s not just saying that for an interview. He’s really serious about it and I’m sure he could rally the necessary people around him to support him in a bid like that.”Mayweather is not the only celebrity to show interest in buying the team. Music and film mogul David Geffen also could be a candidate, according to the Los Angeles Times.Mayweather’s own past issues with making racist remarks could prove to be a hurdle, as could his history of legal troubles and affinity for gambling.  He has been known to often wager six-figure sums on NBA games.In 2010, he unleashed a profanity-filled rant with racial overtones in an Internet video against Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao, with whom he has not been able to make a deal to fight in what would be boxing’s biggest event. read more

Govt to develop Gandhi Bhavan into major tourist destination

first_imgKolkata: Following the direction of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, the state Government is taking a major step in developing Gandhi Bhavan in Beliaghata as one of the favourite tourist destinations in Kolkata.It may be recalled that the state government has set up a 46-member committee with the Chief Minister as its chairperson to celebrate the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. The first meeting of the committee was held on April 23 and decision to undertake necessary task for proper renovation of the heritage structure was also taken. The state Public Works Department (PWD) carries out the maintenance work of the structure at present. A programme is also scheduled to be held at Gandhi Bhavan in Beliaghata on October 2. It may be mentioned that the structure in Beliaghata is of immense importance as Gandhiji had spent around 25 days in that bhavan. Also Read – Heavy rain hits traffic, flightsSources said Vivek Kumar, Principal Secretary of the Information and Cultural Affairs department, visited the place last week and held a high-level meeting with concerned officials. A senior official from the state PWD was also present in the meeting, where detailed discussions on tasks that need to be carried out were held.An official said foreign tourists often visit the place. Hence, initiative has been taken to ensure that it gets a proper place on the state’s tourism map. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Merc, 2 B’deshi bystanders killedA roadmap will be chalked out and based on the same, task will be carried out to develop the place as a destination for people visiting Bengal from different parts of the country and abroad.There is garden all around the house and it is properly maintained. Now, steps will be taken to develop the area around Gandhi Bhavan. Since a lot of foreign tourists often visit the place, steps will also be taken to ensure that they reach the place easily without facing any trouble, sources said. All the tasks will be taken up only after the roadmap is prepared. According to an officer, the work of preparing the same has already started. Help of the concerned PWD officials would also be taken, if needed, to prepare the roadmap. It may be mentioned that to celebrate the 150th birth anniversary of mahatma Gandhi, the state government will publish a booklet named as “Father of the Nation” containing speeches of Gandhiji.last_img read more